[SOLVED] Low Fps On Rtx 2080TI?(i7 5820k)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guywithprob

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Hi.
I just got my Evga RTX 2080TI XC ultra.
Problem is Im getting unsatisfying FPS in most of the games except Witcher 3.
GTA5 1080p High settings 110fps.
GTA5 2k High settings 110fps.
Insugency:Sandstorm High-Mid settings 155-80 with unexpected fps drops.
Also weird thing is if you noticed with same settings in GTA5 Im getting same FPS in FHD and 2k.
My cpu OC'ed to 4.1ghz and non of my cores goes beyond 70% usage.
16GB 1233Mhz Ram.
My GPU TEMP:50C
My CPU TEMP:60C

Solution
Look at the the sockets on both units. There are:
Motherboard - 24 and 10-pin
Storage - 5-pin on the Cooler Master, and 6-pin on the Seasonic(a little different, but not enough to change anything here)
Cpu - 2x 8-pin on the Cooler Master, and 5x 8-pin on the Seasonic(the cpu and pcie sockets are shared on the Seasonic model)
Pcie - 6x 6-pin on the Cooler Master, and the Seasonic is the same as above

So, let's take your current setup, and make the necessary connections:
Motherboard is the same between both - check
Both units can accommodate the three storage drives - check
Cpu power needs 1x 8-pin(from psu) to 8-pin(to mobo) cable - both units have this - check

[This is where things change]
Gpu power - needs 2x 8-pin to 6+2-pin cables...

guywithprob

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
It's plugged up correctly, but the problem is the wattage supplied by the 6-pin(from the psu) to 6+2pin cable(in the gpu) = 75w
The card requires 150w from 2 cables. 8-pin(from the psu) to 6+2-pin cable = 150w

That's an excellent psu - although, it's 1000w - but again, I have to ask: Do you plan to SLI 2080Ti?
Your current setup does not use more than 600w at peak loads. 650 or 750w psu is enough.
No, I'm going to buy 750w version.
And can you tell me the diffrence between my current psu and this one?
I think I couldn't see it but the connection are looking same.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Storage - 5-pin on the Cooler Master, and 6-pin on the Seasonic(a little different, but not enough to change anything here)
Cpu - 2x 8-pin on the Cooler Master, and 5x 8-pin on the Seasonic(the cpu and pcie sockets are shared on the Seasonic model)

Cpu power needs 1x 8-pin(from psu) to 8-pin(to mobo) cable - both units have this - check

Gpu power - needs 2x 8-pin to 6+2-pin cables = 150w through each
  • The Cooler Master only has 1x 8-pin socket left(the cpu occupies the other). All that's left are 6-pin sockets(psu only supplies 75w through these). As I said before, this is enough to power the card, but not enough to actually run it.
  • The Seasonic model has 4x 8-pin sockets left(after the cpu). So it'll have no issues running the card.

Solution

guywithprob

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019

• The Cooler Master only has 1x 8-pin socket left(the cpu occupies the other). All that's left are 6-pin sockets(psu only supplies 75w through these). As I said before, this is enough to power the card, but not enough to actually run it.
  • The Seasonic model has 4x 8-pin sockets left(after the cpu). So it'll have no issues running the card.
Ok thank you. I planning to buy Seasonic psu tomorrow. Will update for changes when it comes.

guywithprob

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019

Thanks for your help. My psu arrived now my GPU usage hits 80% with Minecraft shaders. Seems like everything is working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.