[SOLVED] Low FPS over time in games

xxxmasterpvpxxx

Commendable
Mar 29, 2018
GPU: Geforce GTX 1070
CPU: i7 6700
RAM: 16GB

Over the past year, I have been noticing that my fps is a lot lower in some games that I used to run fine, but didn't really think much of it cause I could still run the games over 60fps. I have had my computer for about 3 years with no changed parts. I started to realize the issue when I found out some friends FPS on certain games are higher than mine, of which these friends have a decent downgrade of a PC then I have. And by higher I mean usually 30fps higher.

My temps for my CPU are MAXIMUM hitting 80 degrees for all cores and package when gaming, but that is usually on an intensive game and on a hot day. My GPU max temps are usually around 75 degrees.

However recently, my GPU started hitting in the low 90's which I had never seen before. I found out that my fans were spinning on and off even when hitting 90, which is obviously strange. I ended up finding that that fans only worked properly when I had my GIGABYTE XTREME GAMING program launched, which then I instantly heard the fans speed up and cool the card down. It would than stay at its normal temps until the program is closed, of which the fans would then not work correctly again.

The only thing I can think of that could be causing any of this would be dust. Right now I only have a stock intel cooler for the CPU, that has a decent amount of dust between each gill of the heatsink, along with the graphics card having a fair amount of dust on the inside of the fans.

So I would like to know if dust could possibly be the cause of such a drastic decline in fps over time as it causes higher temps, or if something else could be at fault. Obviously I will need to clean it to find out, but do you guys believe this is possible, or could there be something else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
Yes it can, clean the dust

But would try removing the GPU driver with DDU uninstaller and reinstalling the latest nvidia.com driver

uninstall tools like the Gigabyte one. Check if it helps
Mar 31, 2019
the main cause
GPU: Geforce GTX 1070
CPU: i7 6700
RAM: 16GB

Over the past year, I have been noticing that my fps is a lot lower in some games that I used to run fine, but didn't really think much of it cause I could still run the games over 60fps. I have had my computer for about 3 years with no changed parts. I started to realize the issue when I found out some friends FPS on certain games are higher than mine, of which these friends have a decent downgrade of a PC then I have. And by higher I mean usually 30fps higher.

My temps for my CPU are MAXIMUM hitting 80 degrees for all cores and package when gaming, but that is usually on an intensive game and on a hot day. My GPU max temps are usually around 75 degrees.

However recently, my GPU started hitting in the low 90's which I had never seen before. I found out that my fans were spinning on and off even when hitting 90, which is obviously strange. I ended up finding that that fans only worked properly when I had my GIGABYTE XTREME GAMING program launched, which then I instantly heard the fans speed up and cool the card down. It would than stay at its normal temps until the program is closed, of which the fans would then not work correctly again.

The only thing I can think of that could be causing any of this would be dust. Right now I only have a stock intel cooler for the CPU, that has a decent amount of dust between each gill of the heatsink, along with the graphics card having a fair amount of dust on the inside of the fans.

So I would like to know if dust could possibly be the cause of such a drastic decline in fps over time as it causes higher temps, or if something else could be at fault. Obviously I will need to clean it to find out, but do you guys believe this is possible, or could there be something else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Maybe it's time to disassemble all pc parts including gpu.