Low Fps w/ low GPU & CPU usage (norm temps)

Jun 21, 2018
So I have been playing fortnite (all low settings except view distance + 1080p) and been monitoring my core usage and gpu usage aswell as their temps and it seems to be on the low side. My CPU cores avg usage is about 50% and my GPU usage is about 35-45% but I'm not even hitting 144 fps, which is my monitors cap. I've disabled v-sync in game and in Nivida control panel but the frames cap at around 134 (its buggy and you can't really tell the last number). All my temps are very cool, CPU = 50c and GPU around 60c.

I've recently installed a new mobo, ram, and graphics card so I have no idea why I'm not hitting 144+ frames. I do have the cap at 144fps on fortnite but when I put it to unlimited I still stay at the glitchy 130 frames. I don't know if this is a v-sync setting issue or something else.

Sys:
EVGA GTX 1080
GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 Z97 ATX Motherboard
16GB DDR3 Ram
i7-4770

Any feedback would be great!

Are you monitoring all 8 threads for the 50% CPU usage or is that an overall number? My guess is you're only using half the available cores/threads and they're capping your performance. The CPU % is based on all 8 threads, so if only half are being used at 100% you'll get a 50% usage number.

Any reason you're running low settings? I know in some games it can give a competitive advantage, but your GPU usage is so low, you might as well turn it up a bit as it won't drop the frame rate.

Jun 21, 2018

I run most FPS shooters at bare minimum because of 'frames'... I also just enabled all 8 cores on MSI Afterburner and played and a game of fortnight. All 8 cores didn't pass 60% usage.

So you monitored all 8, and none of them went past 60%? If so, then that's strange.

Just on the frame count, lowering settings doesn't make much difference when your GPU is do it so easy but the CPU isn't. Just about all the increase in graphic quality is handled by the GPU.

Jun 26, 2018

Other than a few peaks on single cores that reach about 80% for a moment or two, yes.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from tjcherry13 : "Low Fps w/ low GPU & CPU usage (norm temps)"