Question Low FPS when I have my second monitor on

Jul 22, 2020
I have a main monitor that I use to play games that is 240hz 1920x1080, and whenever I use my second monitor that is 60hz 1920x1080 my first monitor locks all games to 60 frames per second even though the frame counter in game says differently. The way that I can tell that this is happening is because when I have only my first monitor on (by pressing windows+P and selecting PC screen only) the game looks smooth and corresponds to the frames that are stated on the frame counter. But when I have both displays on I can see the difference in framerate on my main display. I want to know how to fix this. I've tried using a separate graphics card for my second display and it did nothing.

My specs are:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 1800x
Graphics Card - GTX 1080
RAM - 16GB Corsair RGB
Motherboard - MSI B350 Tomahawk

It would be greatly appreciated if someone would help me, I would like to take advantage of the second screen that I have instead of leaving it black while playing games, thank you.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There isn't a cheap fix for this.

2 monitors, both plugged into the gpu, one runs at 240hz and the other at 60hz. Gpu has to refresh 2 screens, but they're at 2 different refresh rates.
The frame buffers are out of sync because of that.

If your cpu had an iGPU, simply plugging the 60hz screen into the motherboard would've been a quick(cheapest) fix. The remaining options:
-get a 2nd Nvidia gpu, like a GT 1030, or other card that doesn't require external connectors.
-replace the 60hz monitor with another 240hz one.
-continue leaving the 2nd screen black.

Jul 22, 2020
There isn't a cheap fix for this.

2 monitors, both plugged into the gpu, one runs at 240hz and the other at 60hz. Gpu has to refresh 2 screens, but they're at 2 different refresh rates.
The frame buffers are out of sync because of that.

If your cpu had an iGPU, simply plugging the 60hz screen into the motherboard would've been a quick(cheapest) fix. The remaining options:
-get a 2nd Nvidia gpu, like a GT 1030, or other card that doesn't require external connectors.
-replace the 60hz monitor with another 240hz one.
-continue leaving the 2nd screen black.
I have an nvidia quadro k2000 in my computer, would that work ?

Mar 18, 2020
I had this issue and it turned out xbox game dvr was on in windows, I don't even own an xbox.
For some reason it locks the frame rate at 60 while using dual monitors of different refresh rates.

Mar 18, 2020
Ok since that wasn't the issue you can also try this:
open nvidia control panel
go to display size and position
perform scaling on: GPU rather than display
for second monitor edit