Kenoeee

Prominent
Apr 9, 2019
gpu - 1080ti fe
cpu - ryzen 1800x
mobo- aorus 370x k5
ram - 16gb 3000mhz
psu- cs750m corsair

Every game i have been playing i seem to have been getting low fps, even when i turn all the graphics setting to the lowest possible. There is no change in fps, a constant between 70-90fps which is weird for a 1080ti.
i have the latest nvidia driver, i have have GeForce experience installed since i dont need it, latest bios update aswell.
i have also notice there are times when my game stutters and idk why.
I have refitted my gpu to see if it has done anything but hasnt.

UserBenchmarks: Game 102%, Desk 81%, Work 102%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X - 78.1%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti - 133.6%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB - 108.8%
SSD: Kingston A400 120GB - 33.9%
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB - 355%
HDD: Hitachi HDT725025VLA380 250GB - 27.6%
HDD: WD Green 1TB (2010) - 36.4%
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - 49.5%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K5-CF

Solution
gpu - 1080ti fe
cpu - ryzen 1800x
mobo- aorus 370x k5
ram - 16gb 3000mhz
psu- cs750m corsair

Every game i have been playing i seem to have been getting low fps, even when i turn all the graphics setting to the lowest possible. There is no change in fps, a constant between 70-90fps which is weird for a 1080ti.
i have the latest nvidia driver, i have have GeForce experience installed since i dont need it, latest bios update aswell.

SSD: Kingston A400...
gpu - 1080ti fe
cpu - ryzen 1800x
mobo- aorus 370x k5
ram - 16gb 3000mhz
psu- cs750m corsair

SSD: Kingston A400 120GB - 33.9%
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB - 355%
HDD: Hitachi HDT725025VLA380 250GB - 27.6%
HDD: WD Green 1TB (2010) - 36.4%
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - 49.5%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K5-CF

Textbook CPU bottleneck.

Your CPU has (compared to modern CPUs) low boost clocks, low IPC, and is built on an older architecture that has none of the optimizations that have recently catapulted the Ryzen 5000 CPUs to the top of the best CPU for gaming hierarchy.

Even knowing all this, I can point out several things from your results that indicate a CPU bottleneck:
  1. Unusually low fps for a 1080 Ti, even on low settings
  2. Stutter: Stutter is often caused due to a CPU being utilized to its limits, resulting in delays and inconsistency in the rendering pipeline.
  3. No change in fps even when changing settings. When you change your settings, it increases/decreases the load on your GPU, usually resulting in increased/decreased fps. However, this is only the case if your CPU has the horsepower to keep up with the changes in fps; if there is no change in fps, that means that your CPU is already maxed out and all you are doing by changing settings is increasing/decreasing your GPU's utilization.
Bottom line, your CPU has a good number of cores (8) and threads (16), but it's single core performance and overall frame throughput is severely lacking by modern standards. In order to prevent stutter and keep your games from being artificially limited to 70-90 fps, you need a CPU upgrade. No, there is no "quick fix" like reinstalling something or updating any software that will fix this, a new CPU is the only way you'll improve things outside of switching to a higher resolution and increasing your graphical settings to move the load from your CPU to your GPU. No matter what though, keeping your current CPU means you'll never increase your fps above what you're seeing now.

I would recommend a Ryzen 5600x as your baseline for a good CPU to upgrade to, with a Ryzen 5800x being an even better option. FYI, if you either can't afford a new CPU or choose not to buy one for some reason, you should bump you settings back up to high/ultra; all you are doing by turning them down is making things easier for your GPU at the expense of decreased visuals, you're not actually doing anything to improve the issue.

Reactions: Kenoeee
Solution

Kenoeee

Prominent
Apr 9, 2019
Textbook CPU bottleneck.

Your CPU has (compared to modern CPUs) low boost clocks, low IPC, and is built on an older architecture that has none of the optimizations that have recently catapulted the Ryzen 5000 CPUs to the top of the best CPU for gaming hierarchy.

Even knowing all this, I can point out several things from your results that indicate a CPU bottleneck:
  1. Unusually low fps for a 1080 Ti, even on low settings
  2. Stutter: Stutter is often caused due to a CPU being utilized to its limits, resulting in delays and inconsistency in the rendering pipeline.
  3. No change in fps even when changing settings. When you change your settings, it increases/decreases the load on your GPU, usually resulting in increased/decreased fps. However, this is only the case if your CPU has the horsepower to keep up with the changes in fps; if there is no change in fps, that means that your CPU is already maxed out and all you are doing by changing settings is increasing/decreasing your GPU's utilization.
Bottom line, your CPU has a good number of cores (8) and threads (16), but it's single core performance and overall frame throughput is severely lacking by modern standards. In order to prevent stutter and keep your games from being artificially limited to 70-90 fps, you need a CPU upgrade. No, there is no "quick fix" like reinstalling something or updating any software that will fix this, a new CPU is the only way you'll improve things outside of switching to a higher resolution and increasing your graphical settings to move the load from your CPU to your GPU. No matter what though, keeping your current CPU means you'll never increase your fps above what you're seeing now.

I would recommend a Ryzen 5600x as your baseline for a good CPU to upgrade to, with a Ryzen 5800x being an even better option. FYI, if you either can't afford a new CPU or choose not to buy one for some reason, you should bump you settings back up to high/ultra; all you are doing by turning them down is making things easier for your GPU at the expense of decreased visuals, you're not actually doing anything to improve the issue.
can overlocking help reduce bottle neck?
and thank you for your reply i thought i may have damaged something

can overlocking help reduce bottle neck?
and thank you for your reply i thought i may have damaged something

Usually only a small amount, although I've seen at least one guy on these forums who saw no difference whatsoever when overclocking his Ryzen 3600. Keep in mind that an overclock won't fix the fundamental issues you're having with your current CPU. Best case scenario, you'll gain a few fps and that's all; stuttering will remain exactly the same.