[SOLVED] Low fps with 3070RTX

Apr 25, 2021
I get very low fps in games with a 3070 RTX card.

30fps-40fps in GTA5 for instance with Vsync off
Settings are on low

My full specs are
RTX3070
Ryzen 5 5600x
32GB RAM
750w PSU
Aorus 570 elite MB

Temps are fine
Benchmarks are also fine
Bios is flashed and latest version
Drivers are up to date.

Snapshot of afterburner how my usage/temp look in gta5

No idea what's going on...

My benchmark scores in Heaven and Cinebench are totally fine and what they're supposed to be.

Kinda desperate now.

Everything looks normal to me.... gpu is at 100% usage all the time which seems a bit odd though.
Cables are connected correctly
I get normal clock speeds and normal benchmark scores with my gpu... they're even a bit higher than average.
Friend of mine has almost the same system and he get 100fps everyting on max, while I get 40fps on low ....

So GPU usage is insanely high for low settings I guess... while CPU usage is really low.

Last edited:

4745454b

Titan
1080 or 4k? Does going to high settings change anything? I don't remember right now what it's called, but make sure you dont have that super resolution thing on. It kills frame rates because the card is rendering the game at a res higher than your monitor.

Apr 25, 2021
1080 or 4k? Does going to high settings change anything? I don't remember right now what it's called, but make sure you dont have that super resolution thing on. It kills frame rates because the card is rendering the game at a res higher than your monitor.

4k, I do get around 70fps when switching to 1080 on low settings. on 4k resolution I get 35fps on average with everyhting on low. I think I do understand what you mean and I already checked that and it's off.

Apr 25, 2021
Please post a link or snapshots of your benchmark scores (including Userbenchmark).
Also, as @4745454b asked, please list your render resolution.

Nothing seems wrong really? or does it?

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/42409706

Here is another link of yesterday in Heaven benchmark

Also performing above average for some reason.

So this issue I have in games is really strange... I just don't understand it. Normally I fix all issues myself but this is the first time I encounter such a contradicting problem.

Last edited:

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Run a longer benchmark with Furmark and see if your GPU is overheating. It sounds like it might be overheating. Your GPU is clocked a lot higher than stock. Was that you?

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Oh actually since GPU usage is always locked at 100% maybe like you have a crypto miner virus or trojan that is running in the background and using your "spare" GPU cycles. These things impact framerate quite a lot.

Apr 25, 2021
Run a longer benchmark with Furmark and see if your GPU is overheating. It sounds like it might be overheating. Your GPU is clocked a lot higher than stock. Was that you?

Ok I will try.
I did not change my clock speed. But my rtx card is the Aorus3070 elite which is supposed to run at slightly higher clock speeds than other brands I believe

Apr 25, 2021
Looks good.

Is this GTA online? Have you fully reinstalled the game (deleting the folders before the reinstall)? Are you using mods? Have you tried other (offline) games?

As @TommyTwoTone66 said, run something longer, like Unigine Valley, for 30 mins and watch it to see if performance degrades.

No this is GTA Offline mode. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the game twice. I deleted all rockstar folders. I also used DDU to uninstall my GPU drivers. I'm not using mods. So 35fps at low settings cannot be normal imo. I also tried a previous version driver of my GPU.

I just tried Witcher 3 @ 4k everything on max including hairworks and I get 75FPS on average in Toussaint (no mods) which seems right my GPU usage is 75- 85% with VSYNC on... So I start to believe this is a GTA5 only issue and my hardware is fine....
CPU usage is really low in all games though... don't know if that's normal but it's around 10 - 25% in all games I have tried.

In Subnautica I get 95 fps on average witch everything on max @4k

So I guess it's some driver issue.

Apr 25, 2021
Oh actually since GPU usage is always locked at 100% maybe like you have a crypto miner virus or trojan that is running in the background and using your "spare" GPU cycles. These things impact framerate quite a lot.

Did run some scans but since my system is only a week old I expected no virus and it seems to be like that.

Apr 25, 2021
Yeah, seems to be something specific with GTA5.
I've only played a bit of GTA5. Maybe others can offer some insight.

I'm already happy that my hardware seems to be fine.
When I look on Youtube I seem to get higher FPS than other people get in Subnautica and Witcher 3 with a 3070rtx (probably because my CPU is a lot faster)

This issue is driving me crazy though. I guess I just delete GTA5 and move on. Just tried GTA again and I still get 37 fps on low settings and my GPU is working really hard for some reason. I tried to turn every graphic options to off or the lowest possible but there is no difference. When I change settings to high I get 10 fps even at lower resolutions no more than 20.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
This issue is driving me crazy though. I guess I just delete GTA5 and move on.

The PC port was never that well optimised to begin with I'm afraid. It was not made with 4K in mind. Undoubtedly there are mods and hacks you can apply to make it run smoothly, but it's not such an amazing game graphically that you should do that anyway TBH, just play it in 1080p :D

Apr 25, 2021
This is Subnautica for example on max settings @ 4k I get 90fps in wide open area's with loads of details.

This looks completely healthy

It's also like that in Witcher3

But in GTA 5 my GPU is always 100% no matter what settings I change.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
in GTA 5 my GPU is always 100% no matter what settings I change.

You should join a forum dedicated to GTA5 and see if anyone is experiencing the same issues with your card. I bet you they are. Then maybe someone has an idea for a hack or workaround to improve it. Or maybe GTA5 just do be like that at 4K for everyone. IDK. I run it at 1920 x 1200 and it's silky smooth.

Apr 25, 2021
You should join a forum dedicated to GTA5 and see if anyone is experiencing the same issues with your card. I bet you they are. Then maybe someone has an idea for a hack or workaround to improve it. Or maybe GTA5 just do be like that at 4K for everyone. IDK. I run it at 1920 x 1200 and it's silky smooth.

Well I already tried that. Nobody seems to have this issue. Like you said the game runs smooth with 3070cards at 4k. A friend of mine has the same card as I have and he get 110 fps while I get 37 in the exact same location and settings. The only thing I haven't tried yet is reinstalling windows10... but I don't know if I should try that...

Apr 25, 2021
I have no idea why but I solved the issue by reverting back to an earlier version of windows from 2 days ago.

I opened the game and suddenly got 100+ fps on max settings.

Going to update windows again to the current version.... and see if the problem returns.

Edit: I updated Windows again to current version and the problem is still solved.

This has clearly been the issue! https://www.pcgamer.com/the-windows-10-update-thats-been-trashing-framerates-has-been-fixed/

Edit2:
When I switched to fullscreen from borderless fullscreen the problem instantly returned. When I reverted back to borderless fullscreen again the problem was still there. I had to revert back again to the older version of windows again to fix the issue again.
I will never touch fullscreen again.

Something is really wrong between windows and GTA5 can anyone else test this in GTA5? Go from borderless fullscreen to full screen and then back again and see if fps is more than halved?

Last edited:

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Forced (Beta quality) updates from Windows in no good.
I remember when updates were optional and you could schedule for a time that was good for you.
Ever have a low battery on Laptop and no charger and an business need and the update kills battery, (or something specific to you) that was very inconvenient because Windows is the boss of your PC?

Glad you got it fixed!