Question Low FPS with a GTX 1050 Ti ?

Jan 7, 2023
Im trying to understand whats wrong with my computer so i'll talk about this here too. I have a gtx 1050 Ti, i5-7600, 16GB RAM, 1tb m2 ssd. I havent played for some time and now that i want to start again I cant, because i get very low fps on games like fortnite, with lots of freezing. Task manager says cpu and gpu are at about 30% usage, while CoreTemp says 90/100% but at 30°C. I tried playing with the lowest possible settings, with the performance engine too, but it still freezes. What can I do? It seems strange that my computer is that bad.

CPU: Intel I5-7600
Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon
Ram: 16GB DDR4 corsair
SSD/HDD: Samsung 980 PRO 1tb
GPU: MSI GTX 1050 Ti
PSU: Mars gaming MPII650
Monitor: Samsung C24F390

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

With that out of the way, have you tried working with DDU to remove all your GPU drivers then manually installing the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? The other thing you could look into, is to see what your motherboard BIOS version is.

Jan 7, 2023
My bios version is from 2017, most recent one available is from August 2018. Ill try to remove drivers and install them. To reinstall them do I have to open nvidia experience or download it from some site?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

With that out of the way, have you tried working with DDU to remove all your GPU drivers then manually installing the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? The other thing you could look into, is to see what your motherboard BIOS version is.
Also, wouldnt uninstalling the drivers make the pc unusable?

OtapIc

Commendable
Jan 19, 2021
I didn't try to reinstall anything yet. I'm playing at 1080×1920. Drivers are all the most recent ones.

From my own experience using the gtx 1050 you might wanna try turning it down to 720p. Fortnite has had a couple of changes and isn't as potato friendly as it used to. The freezing or stuttering might just be from VRAM usage.

Or it could also be your PSU not delivering power correctly if the 30% usage while gaming is accurate.

Other than that, if you've updated the GPU drivers. Go ahead and Flash the updated motherboard BIOS. It's always good practice to update software

Jan 7, 2023
From my own experience using the gtx 1050 you might wanna try turning it down to 720p. Fortnite has had a couple of changes and isn't as potato friendly as it used to. The freezing or stuttering might just be from VRAM usage.

Or it could also be your PSU not delivering power correctly if the 30% usage while gaming is accurate.

Other than that, if you've updated the GPU drivers. Go ahead and Flash the updated motherboard BIOS. It's always good practice to update software
How can I check vram usage? And btw, i tried playing with the lowest settings available and it still freezes like it is with highest settings. Any way I can check if the psu is delivering enough power?

OtapIc

Commendable
Jan 19, 2021
How can I check vram usage? And btw, i tried playing with the lowest settings available and it still freezes like it is with highest settings. Any way I can check if the psu is delivering enough power?
Maybe try using the program GPU-Z or MSI afterburner to check VRAM usage. Although afaik there's no accurate way to tell the usage, but you can still use those programs to get an estimate.

For the PSU you'd probably need to check by using it on a different PC and see if the problem still happens. But someone more knowledgeable might know a better way

Anyways if fixing things on the software side doesn't help then you'll need to check each part to see which is faulty, because it could be anything. Could be the GPU not taking in correct power, could be the motherboard, could be the CPU. If there's a local computer shop near you and if you're willing to you might wanna ask them to test your parts for you on their own test bench they'll probably do it for a tiny fee or free

Jan 7, 2023
Maybe try using the program GPU-Z or MSI afterburner to check VRAM usage. Although afaik there's no accurate way to tell the usage, but you can still use those programs to get an estimate.

For the PSU you'd probably need to check by using it on a different PC and see if the problem still happens. But someone more knowledgeable might know a better way

Anyways if fixing things on the software side doesn't help then you'll need to check each part to see which is faulty, because it could be anything. Could be the GPU not taking in correct power, could be the motherboard, could be the CPU. If there's a local computer shop near you and if you're willing to you might wanna ask them to test your parts for you on their own test bench they'll probably do it for a tiny fee or free
I tried using a bechmark test and the gpu results were like other people's with the same gpu's results, so I dont think its a power problem.

Jan 7, 2023

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

I updated the bios but nothing changed