[SOLVED] Low FPS with a i5-6600k and a 1070

Hugo Bryan

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
Hello
I have a i5 6600k for a while now and I just bought a GTX 1070
I noticed that the FPS for some reason, is way below than it supposed to be
I've seen benchmarks where people play with the exact same processor and the same GPU and it gets 20-30-35 fps more than me
Let me give you guys some examples:

GTA V on benchmark : 40-50 fps on the max settings (Dropping to 30fps at some point)
FarCry Primal : 60 FPS on max settings (You can see people benchmarking with the same gpu getting 80-90FPS)
Witcher 3: 50 - 55 FPS on max settings (You can also see people getting above 60-70 with the same gpu)

Also, i'm using a fresh windows installation, the CPU stays at 58C, GPU also stays cold
I wonder if it has something to do with the motherboard (since it doesn't allow overclocking the 6600k stays at stock 3.5ghz, but i've seen 6600k stock vs overclocking on some videos and the difference in fps is minimum 5-10fps)
or maybe the RAM (8GB DDR4 2133Mhz)
Please, can someone give me some answers?
I can provide you guys with more info if needed

Last edited:
Solution
Have to be careful and take YouTube bids with a grain of salt. They only show what is possible, not what is probable. Those pc's used for the games are tuned specifically for just games. They'll do things in nvidia control panel like set output to full performance not balanced or quality, change pre-rendered frames from 3 (default) to 1 etc. They also don't run Antivirus, office, Adobe or any other software that a normal user does that take up processes and services in the background. They'll also have Cortana totally disabled, windows store, Xbox DVR and that stupid game thing disabled, no printers or Bluetooth enabled etc. You are comparing your regular, default windows and default nvidia settings to one that's been ripped, stripped...

LewisMann

Reputable
Mar 2, 2019
I would recommend to get a dual channel 2x8 RAM. Most moden day games like Fortnite etc, don't require realistically more than 16GB ram. 8GB is good for some games but for new modern games, you would probably be better off with getting an extra 8GB of RAM at 3000mhz. As for your FPS, i'm not quite sure what went wrong, I would probably say look at upgrading that CPU to a better one to get that FPS back to scratch, I would recommend getting a Ryzen 5 2600, or if you have the money to spend, definetly look at getting the i7-8700K!

Hugo Bryan

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
I would recommend to get a dual channel 2x8 RAM. Most moden day games like Fortnite etc, don't require realistically more than 16GB ram. 8GB is good for some games but for new modern games, you would probably be better off with getting an extra 8GB of RAM at 3000mhz. As for your FPS, i'm not quite sure what went wrong, I would probably say look at upgrading that CPU to a better one to get that FPS back to scratch, I would recommend getting a Ryzen 5 2600, or if you have the money to spend, definetly look at getting the i7-8700K!

Ty for the reply
Yeah, 8700k sounds ideal , but I would have to upgrade the motherboard and they are not cheap at all here where i live , I'm thinkg about getting a 7700k
I can either buy a motherboard which will allow the 6600k to be overclocked or buy a 7700k, what do you think it is the best decision?

Last edited:
Reactions: LewisMann

Hugo Bryan

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
Yeah, I checked the update history and It doesn't like that i have installed that particularly update

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Have to be careful and take YouTube bids with a grain of salt. They only show what is possible, not what is probable. Those pc's used for the games are tuned specifically for just games. They'll do things in nvidia control panel like set output to full performance not balanced or quality, change pre-rendered frames from 3 (default) to 1 etc. They also don't run Antivirus, office, Adobe or any other software that a normal user does that take up processes and services in the background. They'll also have Cortana totally disabled, windows store, Xbox DVR and that stupid game thing disabled, no printers or Bluetooth enabled etc. You are comparing your regular, default windows and default nvidia settings to one that's been ripped, stripped, gutted, tweaked and streamlined for game performance.

You can look through these forums, reddit, overclocker's, Asus ROG or any of the other popular forums and find countless posts all saying the same thing. 'I'm not getting the same fps as YouTube, even though I have same equipment'

Solution

Hugo Bryan

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
Have to be careful and take YouTube bids with a grain of salt. They only show what is possible, not what is probable. Those pc's used for the games are tuned specifically for just games. They'll do things in nvidia control panel like set output to full performance not balanced or quality, change pre-rendered frames from 3 (default) to 1 etc. They also don't run Antivirus, office, Adobe or any other software that a normal user does that take up processes and services in the background. They'll also have Cortana totally disabled, windows store, Xbox DVR and that stupid game thing disabled, no printers or Bluetooth enabled etc. You are comparing your regular, default windows and default nvidia settings to one that's been ripped, stripped, gutted, tweaked and streamlined for game performance.

You can look through these forums, reddit, overclocker's, Asus ROG or any of the other popular forums and find countless posts all saying the same thing. 'I'm not getting the same fps as YouTube, even though I have same equipment'

That's very interesting reply , I wonder if you can get over 25fps just by turning off background services on windows and tweaking nvidia settings, I'll see what I can do.
Do you think it is worth it to buy another motherboard just to overclock the GPU?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No.
Fps limits are set by the cpu. The cpu pre-renders the game code, then ships that frame to the gpu which then paints the picture. The gpu is responsible for details and resolution.

So, if your cpu is capable of 200fps in game, and ships that to the gpu and you see 150fps on screen, then the details/resolution are the issue. You'd see fps go up by moving from ultra to medium. But only as high as 200 because that's all the gpu is getting. If you are getting 150fps and move from ultra to medium and still get @ 150fps, then the gpu is capable of more, but the cpu is capped at 150.

OC on a gpu will only increase fps IF there is available fps to be had. So if you get 150fps at ultra and medium, you could even stick a RTX2080ti OC in your pc, and you'd still only get 150fps.

Motherboard has nothing at all to do with OC on a gpu, only the cpu. A video card is nothing more than a miniaturized pc dedicated to graphics output. It has its own cpu, VRM's, ram etc that's separate from the motherboard/cpu it's attached to. You can OC any gpu on any motherboard upto the limits of the gpu.

But that still won't increase or affect the fps the cpu is capable of.

It's entirely possible you could squeeze out another 25fps by tweaking windows, NVCP, background services etc. Anything that decreases cpu resource usage can possibly increase available resources the cpu can use to better effectiveness in games.

If all you have to do is drive down a straight road, that's easy. Effortless. Now drive down that same road in the dark, it's pouring down raining, you are half asleep, there's 4 kids and a baby screaming in the back seat, GF just broke up with you, and you just left Grandma's funeral.. not such an easy drive. That's the difference between a YouTube cpu and what yours has to deal with.

Last edited:

Hugo Bryan

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
No.
Fps limits are set by the cpu. The cpu pre-renders the game code, then ships that frame to the gpu which then paints the picture. The gpu is responsible for details and resolution.

So, if your cpu is capable of 200fps in game, and ships that to the gpu and you see 150fps on screen, then the details/resolution are the issue. You'd see fps go up by moving from ultra to medium. But only as high as 200 because that's all the gpu is getting. If you are getting 150fps and move from ultra to medium and still get @ 150fps, then the gpu is capable of more, but the cpu is capped at 150.

OC on a gpu will only increase fps IF there is available fps to be had. So if you get 150fps at ultra and medium, you could even stick a RTX2080ti OC in your pc, and you'd still only get 150fps.

Motherboard has nothing at all to do with OC on a gpu, only the cpu. A video card is nothing more than a miniaturized pc dedicated to graphics output. It has its own cpu, VRM's, ram etc that's separate from the motherboard/cpu it's attached to. You can OC any gpu on any motherboard upto the limits of the gpu.

But that still won't increase or affect the fps the cpu is capable of.
Yeah, I wrote GPU but i meant CPU, sorry! I do have a 6600k but my motherboard is incapable of overclocking it so it stays at 3.6ghz maximum, Do you think that overclocking to 4.5 will increase the peformance? is it worth to just buy another motherboard to do that?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Worth is a personal thing, that's for you to decide.

For instance, I get 300fps solid at ultra in CSGO. Is it worth it to upgrade from my old i7-3770K /gtx970 to something newer just to increase fps?

I get 250fps in skyrim, if I mod it heavily I get 60fps. My monitors are 60fps. So I'm still good. It's not worth the $1000+ to buy a new pc to get 100fps.

To me.

I'm not you.

I would upgrade to 16Gb of dual channel ram, decent SSD (if needed). Games are pushing the 8Gb limits on system memory, and if you get anywhere even close to that total usage (game + windows + other stuff) then windows will start shunting stuff to pagefile. When that happens, fps tanks hard. Windows reads the extra, has to think about it a second, organize it, write it to storage, wait till its needed, read it again, ship it to cpu. Bye bye fps.

You may not always use, or even use much of the extra 8Gb of ram, but you'll seriously miss it if you start into pagefile usage for even the smallest amount.

Hugo Bryan

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
Worth is a personal thing, that's for you to decide.

For instance, I get 300fps solid at ultra in CSGO. Is it worth it to upgrade from my old i7-3770K /gtx970 to something newer just to increase fps?

I get 250fps in skyrim, if I mod it heavily I get 60fps. My monitors are 60fps. So I'm still good. It's not worth the $1000+ to buy a new pc to get 100fps.

To me.

I'm not you.

I would upgrade to 16Gb of dual channel ram, decent SSD (if needed). Games are pushing the 8Gb limits on system memory, and if you get anywhere even close to that total usage (game + windows + other stuff) then windows will start shunting stuff to pagefile. When that happens, fps tanks hard. Windows reads the extra, has to think about it a second, organize it, write it to storage, wait till its needed, read it again, ship it to cpu. Bye bye fps.

You may not always use, or even use much of the extra 8Gb of ram, but you'll seriously miss it if you start into pagefile usage for even the smallest amount.

Thanks I'll get another 8gb RAM and test it to see if it improves something