Low fps with decent hardware.

boothegreat

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Hello, I have been experiencing this problem for some time and I would like some help with it. To start off, here are my specs for my Acer Laptop.

GT 640M
8 gigs of ram
I7-3632QM 2.2 GHz

This laptop to be exact
http://

Anyways, I have had troubling fps with many games that should be running fine with my PC. My drivers are updated. I am on a fresh windows install. I have also made sure that inside my Nvidia control panel that my programs that I am running are using the High-performance NVIDIA processor, which would make me think they would run along side with the GT 650M and not my on board graphics.

The games that I am struggling with are..

-League of Legends (Works fine on low settings)
-Borderlands 2
-Arma 2,3
-Warframe
-Fable Anniversary (even on low settings)
-Eve Online
-And many more that I don't commonly play but still should be running fine.

Some games work fine like Dark Souls 1,2, Path of Exile, TF2, and others. A lot of games even say which graphics drivers they are using even if i have the high performance one selected... Here are some pics...

Baldurs Gate: 2 EE (Even though the game runs fine, It says it's running my on board GPU)
http://i.imgur.com/XoikhgP.png

Eve Online (Doesn't even give me an option to select my 640M)
http://i.imgur.com/gxx2IJ1.png

Any suggestions would be very helpful!

boothegreat

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

Regardless, the 640M still should be able to run games with decent fps at low settings. Not even high demanding games! What put me over the edge is the Fable Anniversary which is hardly a re make gets ~15 fps at low settings; a game from 2004!

System requirements lab even states on multiple games that i have trouble with that i meet the recommended level to run it...

LoL for example, should run quite well.

Your problem seems to mainly be that you can't get the game running using the OPTIMUS software so that it runs on your NVidia GPU.

*Sometimes people screw up the Optimus software when they do driver updates, especially if they don't use the approved software only from the laptop site.

I don't know the correct procedure, for example if you install the Intel, NVida drivers separate to the Optimus utility or how that works.

I do suggest you go back to the laptop support site and use ONLY the official Optimus/NVidia software. Also, see if there's an option to have the NVIDIA LOGO pop up to indicate which GPU the game is starting with.

boothegreat

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

Could you possibly elaborate on what OPTIMUS is? All I am simply doing is going into my NVIDIA control panel, manage 3-d settings, and selecting which programs i want to use with High-performance NVIDIA processor.

Dazinek

Honorable
Sep 9, 2014
Optimus basically is your laptop switches to use your CPU integrated graphics when dedicated is not needed...Internet, word.. etc. What your problem is consisting of, sounds like your laptop isn't switching to dedicated graphics when you start up those games.

Have you tried to revert back to the last stable driver for your GPU?

boothegreat

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

This issue has been going on for a long time, so i wouldn't know the specific driver that would work. It's simply that some games work fine (Which are a bit more demanding then some), and some others don't.

boothegreat

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Another example is that NVIDA Geforce experience most of my games for high settings, yet the performance has terrible fps. Warframe is set for high everything and even on low settings i'm getting under 30.