Question Low FPS with decent PC

Dec 13, 2018
So i think i got decent pc, but i have pretty low fps. I don't know why.

Csgo: 70~ fps
GTA V: 40-50 fps

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.00GHz
RAM: 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 552MHz
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB
MB: ASRock G41MH/USB3
PSU: Corsair VS650

DavidM012

Distinguished
nope. dated h/ware was never high end to begin with. Only 8gb on a quad core cpu might also be causing windows to page out a lot if you have a lot of services/programs in the background. Tune up your windows install.

A stronger gpu & more ram might help but since more other ram may be incompatible you'd have to buy a new 16gb kit. The ram by itself won't top out your fps it will have more available mem. so windows pages out less, similar effect to tuning up windows install so either approach may do something, the latter is free.

Your memory is ddr3 1066 the 2nd slowest ddr tier the cpu can support up to 1333mhz, the 3rd slowest, which in a system with lo resources is a bit of a gain but not spectacular.

Run the userbenchmark.com bench test and post the results. Are you using an ssd or a hdd? System memory is a bottleneck, gpu is dated, no ssd is another bottleneck for windows paging. It writes out the contents of memory to disk as it fills up to the virtual memory file on the drive. So you can experience some lag in high usage situations.

Yeah, the graphics card is still reasonably decent for gaming, so long as graphics settings are kept in check.

The CPU is only about half as fast as the current generation of entry-level quad-core desktop procesors though, which is going to limit performance in many titles.