Question Low FPS with RX 580 8 GB

Mar 10, 2023
Hi, my friend had a system for mining bitcoin and long story short my brother bought some of the parts for cheap (around 250 US$).

Motherboard is a Biostar TB360-BTC pro 2.0 (supports 9th gen CPUs and DDR4 2666 32GB RAM)
I'm using my old 720p Samsung Monitor (1360*768)
GPU is a RX580 8GB
CPU a Intel i3-9100f
PSU a
Great Wali GW-EPS2000bl (90+)

250 GB of SSD, 100 for drive C
2 TB external hdd
PSU should be enough as it was supporting this rig plus 5 more GPUs
Windows 10 pro
and 1 stick of 8 GB of 2400 RAM (Gloway/Micron Technology)

oh right no chassis (I clean it from time to time and the max temp I've seen is around 70 and that's when I get really cold and turn up the room temp)
don't know the model of the CPU cooler (there is just the main one, same for GPU)
the monitor is from 2010 era
the rig itself is no more than 2 years old at most since mining

except the monitor all of the parts were used for mining

I've installed Resident Evil 8 and it runs perfectly, like 70+ during the bad times at max setting except when I change the image quality from 1 to more than 1.2 (max is 2)
but open world games from Assassins Creed Origins and Horizon Zero Dawn to Spider Man 2018 and Cyberpunk 2077 are an entirely different matter (it can go down to 27 frames which is in AC Origin)

now I've heard RX 580 is a 1080 machine so I was surprised at this. the weird thing is for some of these games it's like the max setting is no different than Low or Very Low, in AC Origin the biggest difference is around 15 frames unless you look at the sky which then it can go to 50 or 60 frames.
Horizon Zero Dawn for some reason can achieve 60 around a mixed medium and maxed setting and it looks much better than AC Origin imo. Cyberpunk around 45 and no matter what I did it did not change more than 5 frames except when I turned the NPC population down I think. Spiderman around 40 to 50 as well.

So can there be something with the rig? or CPU or RAM bottlenecking? any advice? (thanks in advance)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. If it's been in service for a while, please include the age of the PSU as well. On second thoughts, please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

my friend had a system for mining bitcoin and long story short my brother bought some of the parts for cheap
Bad idea. How long was the system used for mining and what parts were in the rig that was used for mining?

Reactions: Farshad47

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Was the OS installed with that motherboard/CPU or was a disk with an OS from a different system awkwardly stuffed in there?

PSU info definitely needed. It may not be causing your framerate issues, but if it's a junky one, it might be causing a far riskier situation that needs to be remedied first. The ER will wait on the broken foot if you're having a heart attack.

Mar 10, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. If it's been in service for a while, please include the age of the PSU as well. On second thoughts, please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

my friend had a system for mining bitcoin and long story short my brother bought some of the parts for cheap
Bad idea. How long was the system used for mining and what parts were in the rig that was used for mining?
Done, sorry for the lack of information

Mar 10, 2023
Was the OS installed with that motherboard/CPU or was a disk with an OS from a different system awkwardly stuffed in there?

PSU info definitely needed. It may not be causing your framerate issues, but if it's a junky one, it might be causing a far riskier situation that needs to be remedied first. The ER will wait on the broken foot if you're having a heart attack.
Updated, also there was a dedicated OS for mining, I connected it to a friends computer and deleted it while installing Windows 10 with a USB, then installed everything else, also modern games are installed on the SSD

Lutfij

Titan
PSU should be enough as it was supporting this rig plus 5 more GPUs
If you don't want to share information, how are you expecting us to help you? Include make and model of the PSU and it's age.

installing Windows 10 with a USB
Where did you source the OS installer from?

Mar 10, 2023
The problem is I don't know otherwise i would be happy to tell, But I think it provided more than a 1000 wats, not sure when it was made but it wasn't used more than 2 years at most
You need the iso file from the Microsoft website, the rest is just following a guide

Last edited: