May 26, 2021
SPECS:
windows 10
AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
16 GB
Graphics Card: Radeon RX 570 Series
165 Hz Monitor

Hello All,
I am having a hard time trying to fix an issue where i get an fps drop in my games. I've tried a lot of guides online, searched reddit, and other tedious things but to no avail.
problem is mostly league of legends. ill start the game at a nice 144 fps. then when i lane or group fight the fps drops to 60-80. any experts can assist with this issue? please and thank you.

Sincerely,
M

Last edited:
Solution
Decent GPU for e-sports.

4GB GPU might be exceeding memory at very high settings and resolutions. You mention 165hz, which is pretty common for 1440p displays, which would be a bit much for an RX570.

I agree though, time to get a new CPU, motherboard, and ram. CPU is just about 9 years old.

I suspect your CPU might be overheating if the thermal paste hasn't been changed out in all that time, or the motherboard VRMs are reaching end of life. A program like Hardware Monitor will help in checking that out. If you haven't cleaned the system in a while, do that to.

Could also be a storage problem as it reaches to the drive for the next set of textures, maps, etc. 16GB of memory is decent though, so I don't think that is likely. If you...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Decent GPU for e-sports.

4GB GPU might be exceeding memory at very high settings and resolutions. You mention 165hz, which is pretty common for 1440p displays, which would be a bit much for an RX570.

I agree though, time to get a new CPU, motherboard, and ram. CPU is just about 9 years old.

I suspect your CPU might be overheating if the thermal paste hasn't been changed out in all that time, or the motherboard VRMs are reaching end of life. A program like Hardware Monitor will help in checking that out. If you haven't cleaned the system in a while, do that to.

Could also be a storage problem as it reaches to the drive for the next set of textures, maps, etc. 16GB of memory is decent though, so I don't think that is likely. If you have an SSD make sure it isn't more than 80% full. I guess the same for a hard drive, though they are a little less sensitive. Should have 32GB of free disk space regardless for the swap file (virtual memory)

Reactions: Machievelli111
Solution
May 26, 2021
Thanks you RGD1101 and Eximo for responding with your answers, much appreciated. i will get on some of the issues you mentioned and see the results. but, i do fear i may need an uprgade lol.
i cleared my HDD space via disk cleanup. i also checked the temps and it seems fine from what i see.
as for the monitor, maybe i should drop it below 165Hz since my GPU cant handle it?
Ill download the Hardware Monitor to see if the MB VRMs are dying.
excuse my lack of knowledge with this topic. i am ignorant when it comes to these things.

Appreciate you 2 responding.

Thank you,
M

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
165hz is not the problem, just how fast the monitor refreshes the screen. Your FPS at 60-80 would still happen if you lowered it to 144hz.

Resolution and in-game graphics settings are important. At 1440p with all visual effects and shadows turned up to max, you might see drops in performance when a lot happens on the screen at once. Could be as simple as turning a few settings down.

Reactions: Machievelli111
May 26, 2021
oh, i see...thank you. well, i am using the recommended resolutions, as for in game graphics ill mess around a bit with them and see the outcome.

Thank you, Eximo. you've given me more info and help than i received with this problem in the last few weeks. bless you.