Jan 17, 2022
Hi! I have a lenovo ideapad 5 pro notebook, it has a i5-1135g7, mx450, 16gb ddr4 3200Mhz and for some reason this notebook struggles to sustain 85-90 fps in valorant. I hope someone has a proper solution

Solution
Hi! I have a lenovo ideapad 5 pro notebook, it has a i5-1135g7, mx450, 16gb ddr4 3200Mhz and for some reason this notebook struggles to sustain 85-90 fps in valorant. I hope someone has a proper solution

Had a quick look online, here is a vid of someone using an i5-1135G7 running Valorant on the integrated XE graphics:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEG2r1TelUw

They look to get roughly the same FPS as you - I think the game is probably running on the XE graphics and not the mx450.

If you right click on the game shortcut you should have an option for 'run on graphics processor' then choose 'high performance', that should force the game to use the dedicated card. You can also go into...

Had a quick look online, here is a vid of someone using an i5-1135G7 running Valorant on the integrated XE graphics:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEG2r1TelUw

They look to get roughly the same FPS as you - I think the game is probably running on the XE graphics and not the mx450.

If you right click on the game shortcut you should have an option for 'run on graphics processor' then choose 'high performance', that should force the game to use the dedicated card. You can also go into the nVidia control panel and manually set Valorant to use the dedicated card in there (which should save you having to choose each time you run the game).

Solution
Jan 17, 2022
I set everything in the nvidia control panel to use the mx 450, valorant uses it as well but the task manager says it only uses 10% of the gpu's resources. Pubg has no problem with it, Ive got the same fps in pubg as in valorant.

Jan 17, 2022
The GPU is around 60 degrees Celsius, I dont know anything about the CPU but it doesnt feel hot. It shouldnt be the problem because pubg runs well. The ram is 2x8gb, nothing is at 100%. Ill download msi afterburner once I got home, but I dont think it is necessary

The temperature is 60 and it doesnt go above

This could be a bug specifically with Valorant, have you tried any other games that would stress the GPU a bit more?

As a test you could try downloading and running the demo version of 3D Mark Time Spy, this will give you a comparative score against other similar machines and will prove if the gpu is working or not.

A quick question, what screen resolution and settings are you running Valorant at? Looking online you should be getting ~ 200 fps at 1080p on High settings on a similar config of laptop, however if you were running at 1440p for example this would be much lower.

Jan 17, 2022
This could be a bug specifically with Valorant, have you tried any other games that would stress the GPU a bit more?

As a test you could try downloading and running the demo version of 3D Mark Time Spy, this will give you a comparative score against other similar machines and will prove if the gpu is working or not.

A quick question, what screen resolution and settings are you running Valorant atLooking online you should be getting ~ 200 fps at 1080p on High settings on a similar config of laptop, however if you were running at 1440p for example this would be much lower.

Ive played pubg, it worked just fine, I had around 70-90 fps. The task manager says valorant uses the mx450, same as pubg, but the valorant doesnt use more than 20%. I was playing 1920x1200, and for some reason I had the same fps in 720p or lower. When I was playing 2k I had lower fps (around 60), but under fullhd, the fps stays the same. Sounds wierd I know

Ive played pubg, it worked just fine, I had around 70-90 fps. The task manager says valorant uses the mx450, same as pubg, but the valorant doesnt use more than 20%. I was playing 1920x1200, and for some reason I had the same fps in 720p or lower. When I was playing 2k I had lower fps (around 60), but under fullhd, the fps stays the same. Sounds wierd I know

They behaviour you are describing (lowering resolution but FPS stays the same) is a typical cpu bottleneck situation. The CPU doesn't have to be a 100% load either as if 1 core is pegged at 100% it would cause this issue. That said you shouldn't be heavily cpu limited with an 11th gen i5, they are very fast (and results online from others with the same gpu / cpu suggest that isn't the issue). This is why others have asked about temps, if the cooling is poor it could cause the cpu to thermal throttle.

One thought, what is the refresh rate of your screen? Just wondering if V-Sync has been set incorrectly in Valorant?

Jan 17, 2022
They behaviour you are describing (lowering resolution but FPS stays the same) is a typical cpu bottleneck situation. The CPU doesn't have to be a 100% load either as if 1 core is pegged at 100% it would cause this issue. That said you shouldn't be heavily cpu limited with an 11th gen i5, they are very fast (and results online from others with the same gpu / cpu suggest that isn't the issue). This is why others have asked about temps, if the cooling is poor it could cause the cpu to thermal throttle.

One thought, what is the refresh rate of your screen? Just wondering if V-Sync has been set incorrectly in Valorant?

Well, V-sync is turned off, and my monitor's refresh rate is 90Hz. Thank you for the explanation! My previous laptop had a 7700HQ which is a bit slower, but it preformed well when I was playing valorant. Could it actually be the cpu, if my new cpu is (in theory) stronger than my previous? I mean, why would lenovo put a cpu in their laptop, that is clearly a bottleneck?

Last edited:
Well, V-sync is turned off, and my monitor's refresh rate is 90Hz. Thank you for the explanation! My previous laptop had a 7700HQ which is a bit slower, but it preformed well when I was playing valorant. Could it actually be the cpu, if my new cpu is (in theory) stronger than my previous? I mean, why would lenovo put a cpu in their laptop, that is clearly a bottleneck?

Regarding the CPU bottleneck, an i5 1135G7 should be faster than a 7700HQ in both single and multi-thread applications, although not by a huge margin (both a 4 core 8 thread parts and the older 7700HQ has a higher power limit which compensates a bit vs the i5's much newer architecture). The newer i5 should not be performing worse though (assuming other things like memory capacity and graphics card are the same or better on the i5 setup). Just to check are you playing plugged in or on battery? Interesting that your monitor refresh rate is 90... I'd maybe look at the V-Sync settings in the nVidia control panel as well as the game, it could be forced on for some reason.

Jan 17, 2022
Regarding the CPU bottleneck, an i5 1135G7 should be faster than a 7700HQ in both single and multi-thread applications, although not by a huge margin (both a 4 core 8 thread parts and the older 7700HQ has a higher power limit which compensates a bit vs the i5's much newer architecture). The newer i5 should not be performing worse though (assuming other things like memory capacity and graphics card are the same or better on the i5 setup). Just to check are you playing plugged in or on battery? Interesting that your monitor refresh rate is 90... I'd maybe look at the V-Sync settings in the nVidia control panel as well as the game, it could be forced on for some reason.

Ive turned off the vsync in the nvidia control panel and everything is working perfectly. Thank you very much!!

Reactions: cdrkf

TRENDING THREADS