Low Frame Rate in WoW with new PC

kc5hwb

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I just bought some new hardware to run WoW and I got everything loaded, with Windows 7, but I am getting a low frame-rate in Dalaran. I am wondering if someone can give me come advice...

system is:
GEFORCE 7050M-M w/ AMD SEMPRON LE-1150
nVIDIA GEFORCE 7050 ONBOARD VIDEO CARD ADAPTER INCLUDED
2GB RAM

There is nothing on this PC but WoW. A friend told me to check the aperture size in the BIOS for the onboard GPU, but I don't see a setting in the BIOS for that.

Any ideas?

Mr_E

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

While I can't comment on the hardware other than it does meet the minimum spec, which can be seen here:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=21054&pageNumber=1&searchQuery=CPU
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=21085&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2332

What I can tell you is Dalaran isn't really a great place to measure FPS, as virtually everyone get low frame rates in Dalaran. Ways you can attempt to improve graphics are turn down shadow effects, this should help some. Also reduce your view distance. If things are still choppy try turning the remaining setting down. WoW tells you which setting when decreased will increase performance.

Mr_E

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Here is a recent discussion that talks about WoW and what people do to get the best FPS.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242726

In essense, they restate what I've said regarding shadows and view distance. They also recommend turning of vertical sync, especially on smaller displays. Large displayer need the vsync enabled to prevent screen tearing. However, major cities and large raids can kill your FPS.

Overall, everyone seems to be in agreement that WoW is CPU intensive (rather than GPU--save shaders). The people with the highest FPS seem to be those running a CPU at 4 GHz or more. I believe your AMD SEMPRON LE-1150 runs at 2 GHz.

kc5hwb

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Yes my Sempron is 2GHz... however, my box I have been playing on up until now is a laptop with a 2.0GHz CPU and I get 50-60 FPS in Dalaran. I don't know of anyone, my friends I mean, who have a 4GHz CPU - and most do not have this FPS problem I am seeing now. I don't believe it takes that much CPU for WoW.

I am running a 22" W/S LCD on my laptop and on this desktop. All-in-all the HW on the desktop is newer and higher rated than the laptop, but the laptop runs WoW better.

This is the laptop I am using...
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-satellite-p105-s921/4507-3121_7-31812922.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav

Gedoe_

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
your processor is pretty ancient to todays gaming standards. Sorry to say, but you bought the wrong pc if you intend to game on it. Its pretty logical your laptop outpreforms it.

Mr_E

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

You may be correct on the processor speed and your feedback is like better than mine since it is (assumable) more recent. My WoW has been out of commission for 6 months b/c of a GPU issue and a constant black screen when I attempt to load the game. There are so many factors that can affect FPS, sadly it's hard to pin it down sometimes.

kc5hwb

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
well I don't want to spend $1000 but I want to get something good.

I put in a new graphics card today, the ATI Radeon X 1950 Pro card, which is also 256MB. It was one that I had already, so I didn't spend any money yet, and it does run alot better now, but I still get some choppiness in play. But my frames are now 20-40 in Dal, and 50 or more elsewhere.

banthracis

Distinguished
Regarding the whole wat it takes to run wow well. Hoenstly, it's got pretty low system requirements. However, you can't expect Dal to run smooth on hardware that old. 2ghz AMD sempron would run a lot worse than say a PII x4 at 2 ghz, or an i5 at 2 ghz. You can't compare speed btwn CPU generations.

That's like saying my 1960 mustang has a V8 so it should run just as fast as your 2010 mustang because they're both V8.

Bare minimum to run DAL at 35+ FPS maxed would probably require a PII x3 BE and a 4850 equivalent, though 3870 equivalent might work.

kc5hwb

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

1964 1/2 was actually the first year of the Mustang, they didn't exist in 1960. And with the way they were built back then, it is very possible that the 641/2-69 Mustangs are much faster than the ones of today (many of the new models don't even have V8s) Not a good comparison, but I do see your point. :sol:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: around 1/10/2010 BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: 600-800) I paid $150 for MB/CPU/RAM but I am not limited by this number. Maybe $200-$300 more?

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: The only thing I have on this system is World of Warcraft

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) Power Supply is 300w - I believe the make is Antec.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: pricewatch.com or newegg.com - although I bought these pieces from Ascentech.com, through pricewatch

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer AMD over Intel, but not opposed to Intel. I also prefer Nvidia over ATI, but again.. not opposed.

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050,

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am using Windows 7 32-bit. I build this machine specifically to play WoW, and yes the Sempron is an older model of CPU, but most of everything I read on the internet and hear from friends is that WoW doesn't require alot of heavy CPU or RAM to run well. (2GB is usually enough, and I know many people that play on a 1.6GHz processor) This might not be true for Dalaran, but I am more concerned about overall play in the rest of the game and in Raids.

Since I started this thread, I have updated my graphics card to an ATI Radeon x1950 Pro card with 256MB of RAM. The frame-rate and overall performance is better than it was before, but it still isn't as good as I would like it to be. Most people that I know have a 512MB or 1GB card, so I am thinking I might need to go to one of those instead.

Yarano

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Well if you're looking to upgrade your video card, make sure you do some research and don't just go to best buy and be like "Oh there's a 1 gig card for cheap! I'll get that!" Make sure you look at the core clock, memory bandwidth, fill rates for textures and shaders, etc. Just cause it's a 1 gig card doesn't mean it's gonna be a great card.

Example:

nVidia Geforce GTX 280

Or

ATI Radeon HD 5850

They are both 1GB PCI-E x16 cards

Which would you choose? (BTW- I'm an nVidia fanboy.)

If you chose the GTX 280, as much as it pains me to bash nvidia, you are WRONG!

Look at the difference in specifications.

GTX 280:

Core Clock: 576 MHz
Memory Clock: 999 MHz (1998 DDR)
Memory Bandwidth: 111.888 GB/sec
Pixel Fill Rate: 16128 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate: 36864 MTexels/sec

Radeon HD 5850

Core Clock: 725 MHz
Memory Clock: 2000 MHz (4000 DDR)
Memory Bandwidth: 128 GB/sec
Pixel Fill Rate: 23200 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate: 52200 MTexels/sec

That's just a brief comparison of 2 cards, but instead of just grabbing a random 1gig card, make sure you look at the cards and do your research beforehand. The 5850 will way out perform a GTX 280.

Hope I've been some help in your quest to find a good video card.