Question Low frames and stuttering with decent computer

May 8, 2019
specs :
i7 3820
rtx 2070
ddr3 ram 16 gb

I know my cpu is pretty old for my gpu but i should still be getting decent frames in games since i run them on low graphics settings. For example in games like the division 2 i get about 30 fps and stuttering on low while my friend with a i7 4820k with the same graphics card and ram is getting more then 3 times the fps and with no stuttering. Any help would be appreciated it's definitely not my gpu since i changed that 3 times already. could it be a buggy cpu or ram?

May 8, 2019
You should now get afterburner, run that and use the overlay while playing games and look at CPU/GPU usage while gaming and check temperatures as well

You can see if your CPU is going 100% or your GPU, what's it doing etc
my gpu usage is about 45% and cpu is going from 80 to 90%

May 8, 2019
Does it do this on ALL games or have you only tried Division ?
Have you turned up the graphics settings to Ultra and tried the test as well?
What other games have you tried and is the FPS low?
it only affects some games, i tested this with world war z too and i get low frames and stuttering and also wildlands. When i turn my graphics to ultra the frames are either almost the same or even lower.

OK so you have established it on some games it does it, well these games share DirectX... maybe reinstall that?
Or delete one of the games, reinstall it.
I'm stuck to be honest, can't think why.
What was your previous gpu and did you have better fps, or is this a new build and you only had this gpu?

As an off chance, download Hard Disk Sentinel, this will tell you if you have a failing harddisk, but longshot this would cause it.

May 8, 2019
OK so you have established it on some games it does it, well these games share DirectX... maybe reinstall that?
Or delete one of the games, reinstall it.
I'm stuck to be honest, can't think why.
What was your previous gpu and did you have better fps, or is this a new build and you only had this gpu?

As an off chance, download Hard Disk Sentinel, this will tell you if you have a failing harddisk, but longshot this would cause it.
it says my hard drives are at 100%. I think im going to install my graphics card in my friends computer and see if that is the problem

May 8, 2019
I don't believe it is a GPU problem, because its just not running at full potential.
I think its a driver/software problem, but by all means, if it is hardware, it would be good to know.
Good luck, sorry can't be of anymore help
so it wasn't the graphics card it seems what driver/software should i update or install?

May 8, 2019
Check the little things as well, update all drivers (mobo chipset, GPU, etc), check power is on performance, turn off all background processes that aren't needed and do a benchmark or two.
i updated my chipset but the problem still persists and also my motherboard is the latest version already. I also reinstalled my graphics card prior to this post and my computer is on high performance

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
Cpu or RAM could cause such an issue but it is unlikely unless you are running a bad OC. A bad OC will cause stuttering if not outright crashes. You'll also want to make sure in nvidia control panel that you disable power save features because not doing so will cause stuttering. You could also try standby memory fix if your running windows 10 as this too can cause stuttering. Also try running Intel Extreme Tuning utility in the background while playing a game and see if it detects any kind of throttling.