Ilayeggs

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
I used to get 250+ frames on R6s but now i'm getting 40. I have a GE72VR Apache Pro laptop my specs are GTX 1060 and a intel core I7-7700 4 core 2.80 ghz and 6 gb of ram. I already updated my gtx driver to 4.31 game ready driver, and I already tried messing with the settings. someone please help

UPDATE:I learned that it's not only R6s but its legit every game I play i only get 40 frames even the simplest ones.

Last edited:
The term "high end PC" is relative, especially when it comes to laptops.

Laptops, and especially the GPUs they put in them, are very susceptible to heat buildup, which greatly affects their performance negatively. This is very much the case with the 1060, which is why they came out with a Max-Q version of it for laptops, which is a lower volted and clocked version of the previous laptop version of the 1060.

Is your 1060 in your laptop a Max-Q, and what are your temps?

I dealt with this topic before and found an excellent forum thread with a guy that effectively changed his GPU voltage and clock speed to run like a Max-Q, but can't find it. What it does is make it run cooler and more stable, and in doing so performs better actually. You can also add a laptop cooler under your laptop to help.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=FY...hUKEwjQufCJ4PvjAhUIwlQKHYrPA-QQ4dUDCAo&uact=5

Ilayeggs

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
The term "high end PC" is relative, especially when it comes to laptops.

Laptops, and especially the GPUs they put in them, are very susceptible to heat buildup, which greatly affects their performance negatively. This is very much the case with the 1060, which is why they came out with a Max-Q version of it for laptops, which is a lower volted and clocked version of the previous laptop version of the 1060.

Is your 1060 in your laptop a Max-Q, and what are your temps?

I dealt with this topic before and found an excellent forum thread with a guy that effectively changed his GPU voltage and clock speed to run like a Max-Q, but can't find it. What it does is make it run cooler and more stable, and in doing so performs better actually. You can also add a laptop cooler under your laptop to help.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=FY...hUKEwjQufCJ4PvjAhUIwlQKHYrPA-QQ4dUDCAo&uact=5

My standby temperature is around 55-60 Celsius when i'm playing a game like Rainbow my GPU is 83 and my CPU is 90 Celsius. No my 1060 is not a Max-Q. I don't really want to mess with my computer that much, what do you think I can do because my PC is already 2 years old last month.

Also do you think I could be anything else? Because when I change the settings from ultra to like medium it will still stay at 40 fps.

My standby temperature is around 55-60 Celsius when i'm playing a game like Rainbow my GPU is 83 and my CPU is 90 Celsius. No my 1060 is not a Max-Q. I don't really want to mess with my computer that much, what do you think I can do because my PC is already 2 years old last month.

Also do you think I could be anything else? Because when I change the settings from ultra to like medium it will still stay at 40 fps.
If your GPU is consistently at 83c, that's the throttle ceiling of the new Nvidia models. Meaning it will throttle down to keep it at that temp, and it doesn't do so nearly as well as Max-Q design. By that I mean this kind of throttling can drastically affect performance. An idle temp of 55-60c is also pretty high. It's not much lower than the load temp of a cool running GPU in a well ventilated desktop.

Laptop coolers have gotten better the last few years, resisting dust and heat buildup better, but if it's been two years, it should have the dust cleaned out. There are videos on how to disassemble common brands and models, but if you are resistant to even adjusting GPU voltage, clocks or fans curves, it's probably best left to someone that knows what they're doing (Personally I wouldn't trust BB's Geek Squad).

If the places you use it have a lot of dust in the air, which is fairly common in hot dusty climates, or just rooms with lots of fabric, carpet, pets, etc, it could help a lot to clean it. Another thing that could help a lot is a good laptop cooler pad under it, which run $20 -$30. Just make sure it fits your laptop well. Some stores might even have display models you could try with your laptop running.

What are the ambient temps where you're using it while gaming? If you live in a place that has fairly hot summers and have no AC, that can also of course factor in. I did a little checking on temps of that laptop in reviews, and it's said to be average, but the Tom's review also said it's not good at expelling the heat.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/msi-ge72vr-apache-pro-010-gaming-laptop,4888-4.html

The good news is the entire bottom surface comes off, you just need to be careful and use a sharp edged (preferably plastic) tool to do so. Many PC stores sell such tools for taking apart laptops.
https://www.amazon.com/slp/pry-tool-laptops/9zp3aeuj25hc6sz

The problem of not expelling pooled heat further leads me to believe a good laptop cooler would help push it out. Just make sure you look for one that has fans placed right where your intake vents are. It would also probably make the top of the laptop not as hot when gaming hard.

Havit makes some very well reviewed laptop cooling pads with 3 or 5 fans, and they run $25.

Last edited:

Ilayeggs

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
If your GPU is consistently at 83c, that's the throttle ceiling of the new Nvidia models. Meaning it will throttle down to keep it at that temp, and it doesn't do so nearly as well as Max-Q design. By that I mean this kind of throttling can drastically affect performance. An idle temp of 55-60c is also pretty high. It's not much lower than the load temp of a well ventilated desktop with a cool running GPU.

Laptop coolers have gotten better the last few years, resisting dust and heat buildup better, but if it's been two years, it should have the dust cleaned out. There are videos on how to disassemble common brands and models, but if you are resistant to even adjusting GPU voltage, clocks or fans curves, it's probably best left to someone that knows what they're doing (Personally I wouldn't trust BB's Geek Squad).

If the places you use it have a lot of dust in the air, which is fairly common in hot dusty climates, or just rooms with lots of fabric, carpet, pets, etc, it could help a lot to clean it. Another thing that could help a lot is a good laptop cooler pad under it, which run $20 -$30. Just make sure it fits your laptop well. Some stores might even have display models you could try with your laptop running.

What are the ambient temps where you're using it while gaming? If you live in a place that has fairly hot summers and have no AC, that can also of course factor in.

Thanks for your help dude I'll have my laptop cleaned out soon.

Thanks for your help dude I'll have my laptop cleaned out soon.
Pay attention to what was said about ambient dust and temp conditions too. A good laptop cooler and keeping the room you play in dusted and/or vacuumed can go a long way toward avoiding such maintenance costs.

Try to improve ventilation in the room you play in if at all possible. Sometimes it's just a matter of a proper window shade and/or how far you open the window, if at all on really hot days. ;)

Ilayeggs

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
I posted a forum about this before and the solution was to dust my pc, well I did that and my computer isn't any better the cooling works perfectly fine and my frames on all games is still capped at 40 fps when I use to get around 250+ frames. I don't understand why my frames are this low can someone please help thanks.

My specs:

GTX 1060

Intel Core 17-7700 2.8 Ghz

8 gb of ram