[SOLVED] Low Gaming Performance or is this about right?

Shabushabu

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
So I got a new gaming PC and overall I am kind of underwhelmed by the performance. Seems there is often missing 15-20 Fps from what I was expecting comparing it to sites like gpu check.

My PC
be quiet! Pure Base 600
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (6x 3.8GHz / 4.4GHz Turbo)
be quiet! Pure Rock
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200MHz
512GB Patriot VPN100 M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVME (L 3100MB/s ; S 2200MB/s)
2000GB SATA 6GB/s 5400rpm WD Blue WD20EZRZ
ASUS Gtx 1080 Turbo 8G
550W be quiet! Straight Power 11
Win10Pro

Average FPS
( all on ultra / highest Settings 1080p )

Mass effect Andromeda 70-80
Ghost Recon Wildlands 65-70
Anthem 60-65
BF5 Multiplayer 85-90
BF5 Singleplayer 80
Fallout 4 80
Rise of the TR 85
Shadow of the TR 95-100
Crysis 3 80-90

Do you think this is about right or might be a hardware problem here?

Last edited:
Solution
Your timespy scores look fine. A smidge lower than those on 3Dguru, but allowing for variance in all kinds of things, nothing that would correlate to you getting 20% less FPS.

Clock speeds and temps look fine.

Those kind of framerates sound good for BFV, especially given performance in a single-player bit with an RTX 2080 ti:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-ryzen-5-3600x-vs-core-i5-9600k-review?page=2

It's a fairly demanding game, and in multiplayer there can be a heck of a lot going on. Lows of about 60 sound good to me.

Your GPU is an Asus Turbo model, which has a single blower cooler fan. You could set a more aggressive custom fan curve with MSI afterburner, to keep fan speed up, temps as low...

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
GPUcheck and any other automatic data/performance comparison sites are best avoided like the plague.

Download Firestrike (free version, available on Steam and elsewhere), run the benchmark and link your result here. It will provide individual scores for your CPU and GPU. Disable Freesync/Gsync if you use those before running the test.

Those scores can be compared against scores from the same components measured by professional reviewers, and also other users.

DeanLeitch

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016
As @Oussebon suggested, download 3DMark and run the Firestrike benchmark and post your results here - it'll give you a graphics + physics score (GPU/CPU respectively) and an overall score. You can then compare these to other scores with the same components to determine if your system is under performing.

Reactions: Shabushabu
the fps scores are just about right... u shud be getting more fps, but check to see if any antivirus or other programme is causing the slowdown or maybe ur overclock(if u have any) isnt stable... while gaming note the utilisation of ur CPU or GPU... try and reinstall windows 10 and start off fresh... uninstall any antivirus or internet security suite u have ...
Check the thermals too and see if any overheating is there...

Hello , thx very much for the tips!

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/21905338

these are the results
Believe me benchmark scores are always not indicative... if ur system is slow coz of some other factor, when u run the benchmark scores, the results will vary too... For eg., a driver issue will cause ur fps to drop, by simply an update u may see huge fps gains... so it all depends... Even the latest windows 10 updates have caused stuttering issues for some users, even low fps...

Shabushabu

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
ok ty for the reply!

I dont use oc , basic settings in bios except a xmp profile for my ram to run properly on 3200ghz, when I set to automatic it sets lower for some reason.

Did a full new reinstallation of win10 .
I installed latest bios and other available drivers for my cpu,lan and soundcard

Cpu ut varies around 25-80%
Graphic card almost always at 90-100% ingame ( thats good,right?)

So I guess that leaves temps and driver issues / Antivirus programs?
What would be the best way to test/monitor these things during gameplay?

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
The point of Firestrike is to see whether the system is capable of performing at its full performance.

If it is, then you need to go to the individual games to check performance on a case-by-case basis. While if the benchmark performance is low, then you're likely losing performance across all games.

The scores look about normal as far as I can see. Perhaps try Timespy - should probably have suggested that over the older Firestrike as it seems to be used more commonly. Easier to find comparisons for Timespy (which is an add-on to the 3dmark benchmark you downloaded and I think is also free)
3600x https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-3600x-review,20.html
1080: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-radeon-rx-5600-xt-gaming-oc-review,24.html

DeanLeitch

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016
Believe me benchmark scores are always not indicative... if ur system is slow coz of some other factor, when u run the benchmark scores, the results will vary too... For eg., a driver issue will cause ur fps to drop, by simply an update u may see huge fps gains... so it all depends...

The whole point of the benchmark is to determine if the system is running as it should. If we can first determine that it IS running slower than it should, then we can troubleshoot the cause.

I dont use oc , basic settings in bios except a xmp profile for my ram to run properly on 3200ghz, when I set to automatic it sets lower for some reason.

Did a full new reinstallation of win10 .

Cpu ut varies around 25-80%
Graphic card almost always at 90-100% ingame ( thats good,right?)

So I guess that leaves temps and driver issues / Antivirus programs?
What would be the best way to test/monitor these things during gameplay?

Your score is decent for a 1080 - could easily be better if overclocked, though. As others suggested, make sure you have the most recent drivers (download directly from NVIDIA's website, GeForce experience can affect performance).

Download a hardware monitoring tool (HWMonitor, GPU-Z, CPU-Z) to monitor your temperatures, especially your GPU. If it's exceeding temperatures of 80* then it will start to throttle.

Shabushabu

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
Thx for all the replies!

I unistalled via ddu and reinstalled Geforce driver without experience, no difference
uninstalled,reinstalled antivirus , no difference

Did some more testing:

First, the mark3 "timespy" benchmark. As far as I can tell, I got literally the worst rating compared to similar pc builds? My 1080 seems to be the weakest of the list as well though T_T

Then some screenshots of afterbruner and HWMonitor ,
15 min in playing BF5 MP with max fidelity ultra dx12mode enabled

Got around lowest 60-65 when a lot was happening , 70-78 average , highest around 100

Afterburner

https://ibb.co/D7gNznV

HWMonitor

https://ibb.co/k8xC6hJ

Do you think everything looks in order? Maybe I am expecting too much from my new pc...

One more thing I tried is oc ing my gpu via afterburner. The mark3timespy results were I had higher Gpu score but much lower cpu score.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Your timespy scores look fine. A smidge lower than those on 3Dguru, but allowing for variance in all kinds of things, nothing that would correlate to you getting 20% less FPS.

Clock speeds and temps look fine.

Those kind of framerates sound good for BFV, especially given performance in a single-player bit with an RTX 2080 ti:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-ryzen-5-3600x-vs-core-i5-9600k-review?page=2

It's a fairly demanding game, and in multiplayer there can be a heck of a lot going on. Lows of about 60 sound good to me.

Your GPU is an Asus Turbo model, which has a single blower cooler fan. You could set a more aggressive custom fan curve with MSI afterburner, to keep fan speed up, temps as low as possible, and so boost frequencies as high as possible.

In that afterburner screenshot your 1080 was already doing well though with a frequency of 1835MHz, which is well above the boost clock of 1733:
https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/TURBO-GTX1080-8G/specifications/

I think it's possible GPUcheck was full of it.

Solution

Shabushabu

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
ok that calms me down, you may be right that I had too high expactations looking mostly at gpuchecks stats. Now I can stop worrying.Ty!

About OC ing, I had a few tries , but no matter what I do , the mark3 score of my cpu gets lower for some reason while the gpu gets a higher score :

So without oc overall score is about 250-300 higher due to the cpu score.

This is what I ended up with afterburner settings, fan hits 100 % after 75temp:

https://ibb.co/K66FKV7

Am I missing something? Is 550w too little for the oc? Dont understand why my gpu score goes up while my cpu score goes down after oc ing...

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
The CPU score in your 2nd run is really, really low.

During the CPU test in timespy, the GPU load is deliberately low (otherwise it wouldn't be a CPU test). So it would surprise me.

Are you using the Ryzen Balanced power plan in Windows?

Shabushabu

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
I looked up why ryzen balanced power plan does not show up in my win, but as far as I understood its not part of the drivers anymore? Installed latest chipdriver

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cd3eo5/ryzen_power_plan_disappeared/

I use normal win balanced power plan.

But when I do not overclock the gpu via afterburner, the cpu score goes up again like in my first run. So it has something to do with oc ing my gpu I think.

Shabushabu

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
NEVERMIND I did not know its a separate download.

Thought it comes with the chipset driver. Now it displays it correctly.
Will test with ryzen balanced,ryzen ultimate and normal win balanced again

Shabushabu

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
Ok now I am confused ....

This is the link to the very first test I did yesterday with default win10 balanced plan

Now today, on same settings as above ( not oc )

ryzen balanced energy plan

win10 default balanced plan

Shabushabu

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
yeah sorry about that nonsense ,

I found the culprit, did a system reset to yesterday and come to think of it only thing I did since the test was installing a new audio driver which seems to have been the wrong one, since reset everything works fine again.

So I was able to bump my rating up quite a bit by oc ing my gpu now as you suggested !

afterburner settings, anything above seems to become unstable,not sure about the fan curve:

https://ibb.co/zF92nfx

running on ryzen balanced energy plan

I think I am satisfied with this outcome, unless you might have another suggestion....
might want to crack the 8000! ^^

Reactions: Oussebon

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
That's already a fairly high OC, when I OC my GPUs I tend only to add what I can to the core clock without having to increase voltage. You might get further without the memory OC which tends to add relatively little versus core frequency increases anyway.

Anyway, great that you got the performance sorted!!

And at least you have Timespy in your pocket in case you ever need to verify your performance down the line.