[SOLVED] LOW GPU and CPU usage ALL GAMES. (only on high settings will the usage increase) HELP!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

duduplo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
Ryzen 7 5800x
16gb 3000mhz dual channel
gigabyte 3060 12gb
700w thermaltake bronze certified
a520 aorus elite

Ive had low fps and low cpu/gpu usage in EVERY GAME.
THERMALS ARE FINE!!!
Drivers updated and reinstalled, chipset updated/reinstalled. Windows fresh install,
Power management adjusted in both Nvidia control panel and in windows settings.
Bios settings and every optimization out there.

Ive hit a dead end. (Problem has nothing to do with software based)

I just want to know if my PSU could be causing this.
Thermals are fine on both GPU and CPU, but the usage is low.

So does Bad PSU= Low usage and low FPS?

BUT WHEN MY GAME IS USING HIGH/ULTRA SETTINGS, THE USAGE IS 96%.

HELP!!!!!

( I UPGRADED FROM 1060 3gb TO 3060 12gb . AND I GET LOWER FPS WITH A 3060!!!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

duduplo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020

duduplo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
Check the drive health. The drive may have its own software for that.
If not, use Crystal Disk Info(not Crystal Disk Mark).
https://crystalmark.info/en/ (the blue bar below Quick Download)
I used the link and I got 96% good health.
unknown.png

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How would my SSD cause low usage and low fps?
See, the cpu and gpu aren't the only part of the pipeline for generating your fps. The storage and ram are too.
Depending on the game, there's the frequency of which the program needs to access the game files.
Should be a non-issue with fast drives, but with slower drives, too much activity can lead to 100% disk usage, and that's going to cause hiccups; the OS and game library being on the same drive can be too much for slower drives.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything suggesting your drive is 'slow'. Reviews say it does have a ram cache, and the screenshot says the health is good.
Yet, UBM says something is really wrong here.
Maybe the power and SATA plugs are loose? Firmware needs updating? That's where I'm stuck at, at the moment.

duduplo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
See, the cpu and gpu aren't the only part of the pipeline for generating your fps. The storage and ram are too.
Depending on the game, there's the frequency of which the program needs to access the game files.
Should be a non-issue with fast drives, but with slower drives, too much activity can lead to 100% disk usage, and that's going to cause hiccups; the OS and game library being on the same drive can be too much for slower drives.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything suggesting your drive is 'slow'. Reviews say it does have a ram cache, and the screenshot says the health is good.
Yet, UBM says something is really wrong here.
Maybe the power and SATA plugs are loose? Firmware needs updating? That's where I'm stuck at, at the moment.
Ive pretty much taken my pc apart and put it back together. No Sata plugs are loose, no firmware updating, and nothing wrong with the PSU. (Just bought a new one)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Grasping at straws at this point...
Windows was clean installed, scanned for virus/malware(no dice), the SSD does have a ram cache, it's only about half full...
Between your first and second UBM results, the SSD actually did worse, even though you cleared up the background activity.

Something not yet spoken of is still hammering the SSD.
Are you using Driver Booster/Easy? Perhaps Mc Afee AV?

duduplo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
Grasping at straws at this point...
Windows was clean installed, scanned for virus/malware(no dice), the SSD does have a ram cache, it's only about half full...
Between your first and second UBM results, the SSD actually did worse, even though you cleared up the background activity.

Something not yet spoken of is still hammering the SSD.
Are you using Driver Booster/Easy? Perhaps Mc Afee AV?
I also have Micro Stutters in some games