[SOLVED] Low GPU and CPU usage in Minecraft, results in frame drops

BetaPotata

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
I get an average of 10% usage on both CPU and GPU, sometimes getting up to a max of 20%, but I've never seen higher. Luckily, this is enough to keep it above 144 fps most of the time, but if a lot of items/entities/particles are around or lots of chunk updates happen it drops to low frames instead of using more cpu/gpu to keep it stable. This is pretty annoying for me since I play gamemodes that utilize a LOT of these things, and its very difficult to deal with. In other games like R6 for example, cpu and gpu usually hit 80-100% usage just fine and its great, so I highly doubt its any physical issue with the parts. Any particular reason this is happening, and/or any fix for it?

Specs:
RTX 2080 (overclocked to 2040 mhz)
i7 8700k (overclocked to 4.7ghz)
16GB DDR4 RAM at 3200mhz
Using a 1440p 144hz monitor

also a sidenote, I used to have a GTX 1070 w/ i7 6700k and I could hit upwards of 3,000FPS (obviously on bad settings) but still it would hit 100% GPU usage, and get the highest fps possible. that's pretty much what Id like to do with my current setup, its just not working

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Go to your NVidia control panel, under programs go to minecraft and make sure you set the rendering GPU as your 2080, not the integrated graphics on the 8700k.

I recently noticed this issue with a friends pc that had a similar set up- turns out minecraft would sometimes default to the integrated graphics over the discrete gpu, resulting in low utilization.

BetaPotata

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
Go to your NVidia control panel, under programs go to minecraft and make sure you set the rendering GPU as your 2080, not the integrated graphics on the 8700k.

I recently noticed this issue with a friends pc that had a similar set up- turns out minecraft would sometimes default to the integrated graphics over the discrete gpu, resulting in low utilization.
Hey thank you for the reply. Just tried this and it hasn't seemed to change anything. Worth a shot though.