[SOLVED] Low GPU and CPU usage ?

LietuvisXD

Prominent
Nov 2, 2021
Hey, I have a gpu usage problem for a year now and I still can't fix it. I am getting 40% CPU utilization and the same for the GPU.
I mainly play RUST. I want to know if my CPU is bottlenecking the GPU or something ?
I watched every single video on youtube but none of them helped me to fix low GPU utilization.

My pc specs:
RTX 3060 Ti
i7-8700k 4.4GHZ
2x8 3200MHz CL15
250 GB SSD
2TB HDD
650W PSU
Thank you for your time.

Solution
Do you actually have a problem you need to fix? Low GPU utilization isn't an issue if you are getting satisfactory FPS with the level of detail and resolution you want, it just means your GPU has extra margin to deal with bursts of GPU-intensive details..

If you are running 1080p60, then your "issue" may simply be that you don't really need a 3060Ti for that with vsync on at least for now. Which is actually great news since it means you have headroom for future more demanding games and won't need to burn $1000+ on a meaningful GPU upgrade for a while.

InvalidError

Titan
Do you actually have a problem you need to fix? Low GPU utilization isn't an issue if you are getting satisfactory FPS with the level of detail and resolution you want, it just means your GPU has extra margin to deal with bursts of GPU-intensive details..

If you are running 1080p60, then your "issue" may simply be that you don't really need a 3060Ti for that with vsync on at least for now. Which is actually great news since it means you have headroom for future more demanding games and won't need to burn $1000+ on a meaningful GPU upgrade for a while.

Solution
Hello LietuvisXD. I happen to be a fellow Rust player, and although I can't recall what my GPU utilization is on my 1440p 180 Hz display, I presume it's somewhere between 80 - 99%; hopefully 99.

Questions: Which resolution do you play at and what FPS are you achieving in-game? Also, what's your monitor's manufacturer and model name? Also, just out of curiosity, what's your power supply's manufacturer and model number? Which GPU did you have before the RTX 3060 Ti, and what was your utilization and FPS at that time?

If I were in your situation, I would: Download a fresh copy of the Nvidia drivers to my Windows desktop, even if I already have the latest version installed. Then I would download DDU (Display Drivers Uninstaller) and immediately run that application. I would skip booting into safe mode for now, but would have the DDU software automatically reboot my computer. Once the machine boots up without drivers, the Windows resolution will be low and therefore all icons and text will temporarily look huge. Then I would install those drivers that I downloaded only moments ago. After that point I would re-test running rust on a few different servers, and check whether my GPU utilization and in-game FPS were better. If not then I would remove and reinstall the game and test again.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/183364/en-us

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3793

Scroll half-way down the web page and click the blue colored link "Official Download Here". Run that application, and have it reboot your system.

Last edited:

LietuvisXD

Prominent
Nov 2, 2021
Thank you for the tips, but sadly I've tried them before and it didnt work.

Answers: I usually play on 1280x1024, I am getting 70-80Fps, on the native resolutions its the same issue.
My monitor is Asus VG248QE.
I have Cooler Master MasterMatt Semi-Modular 650W 80 plus bronze PSU.
Before RTX 3060 Ti I had GTX 1060 6Gb, I cant remember what utilization it was, but I know there was no
problem, I was getting around 70Fps.

logainofhades

Titan
I do not believe that Rust is a well threaded title, meaning you have more cores/threads, than your really need for it. Look at individual core usage. The 3060ti doesn't really have to try hard, in this title, at those resolutions. Your 1060 6gb is actually the recommended GPU, system requirements wise, so you have quite a bit more performance boost, there, but I doubt Rust can take advantage of it. Also, look to see if there is a frame limiter cap enabled. That would also explain low utilization, as nothing in your system has to really try all that hard.