Question Low GPU & CPU Utilization on New Build. Is it the Game or my PC?

Jun 15, 2022
Hello,
Just finished building this system (i5-12600K with RTX 3080) and I'm getting worse performance on a certain game (Battlefield 2042) than my old system with a gtx 1080.

Here is my userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/53244863

Is the problem with the game or my system?

In the game im getting around 50-70 fps at best and 40-50% gpu/cpu utilization on low settings. I'd expect at least 100fps with this build. My 1080 system got 70-80 stable with 100% gpu utilization.

Again, is it the game or is it my system? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks

2 things......first you're only using a single stick of ram so that is killing performance. If you can, try and return it and get a 2x8GB kit or you can try and push your luck and pick up another stick and try to pair them. Note that putting two sticks together that are not from a kit is like a crap shoot, you have a 50/50 shot that it will work or not.

Second you need to turn on XMP in the bios so the ram is running at 3200Mhz and not 2133Mhz

Reactions: EightiesKid78
Jun 15, 2022
2 things......first you're only using a single stick of ram so that is killing performance. If you can, try and return it and get a 2x8GB kit or you can try and push your luck and pick up another stick and try to pair them. Note that putting two sticks together that are not from a kit is like a crap shoot, you have a 50/50 shot that it will work or not.

Second you need to turn on XMP in the bios so the ram is running at 3200Mhz and not 2133Mhz
I turned on XMP and it did help some but still not where i want it to be. I have two sticks of ram. Why is only one showing? Maybe I didn't set it all the way. I'll check that next.

Jun 15, 2022

Holy Crap that was it! One of my ram sticks was not all the way seated. I plugged it in, turned on XMP and now im sitting well above 100 fps. Thanks! Love this forum

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have a 12600k and 3080. Why are you on 'low'? Game presets change 2 things, cpu dependent settings And gpu dependent settings. It'll supposedly give you maximum fps output from the cpu, but minimal graphics, which lowers utilization in a big way.

You shouldn't ever see 100% utilization in either as that simply means that component is maxed out, no headroom for changes or additions, which can kill fps on screen.