Question Low GPU usage (<10%) whilst playing GTA V among other games.

May 18, 2019
I know there are many threads about this issue, however, none of them seem to match my case very well.

PC Specs:
Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
Intel i5-6400 (2.7GHz base clock, 3.3GHz turbo)
Gigabyte H110M
Bronze rated 500W PSU non-modular.
Standard 1TB hard-drive.
I've had my PC for two years now I believe.
Monitor 1 is an LG 25UM9 21:9 2560x1080, Monitor 2 is an ASUS VS228 16:9 1920x1080. I have tried testing GPU usage on both monitors and it seems consistent with both of them, as is the FPS in game.

You've definitely heard this problem a lot, but, hear me out.
In games (such as GTA V) I seem to be getting performance issues despite having none prior to a few months ago this year. I initially thought it was component deterioration but I no longer think this is the case.
You see, when I used MSI Afterburner to see what my GPU usage is like while playing GTA V, it said it was 9%. Now, this was the on-screen display, so I don't think it is because I had tabbed out.
Here's a screenshot I had taken really quickly from task manager while GTA was running:

I already knew there is a bottleneck here, and GTA is a memory hog so that's normal. However, this had only happened after a certain date at the start of the year.
I have a few solutions about how to go about this but I would like to hear some from you lovely people before I go doing this.
So far I have: 1. Reinstalling graphics driver.
2. Replacing my CPU to an i5-8400 or 8500
3. Ensuring the 8-pin connectors on the GPU have a good connection.
4. De-fragging my hard drive.

Is there any others?

EDIT: I should specify, the performance issues include textures not loading in, freezing, stuttering, FPS drops, etc.

Metal Messiah.

Commendable
Mar 28, 2019
Are you facing this issue ONLY when playing GTA5, or even other graphic demanding games ? What's the brand/Model number of your bronze PSU ? Are you playing the vanilla version of GTA5, or with some graphics and other MODS as well ?

Have you also tried to rollback your GPU drivers to an older version as well ?

May 18, 2019
Are you facing this issue ONLY when playing GTA5, or even other graphic demanding games ? What's the brand/Model number of your bronze PSU ? Are you playing the vanilla version of GTA5, or with some graphics and other MODS as well ?

Have you also tried to rollback your GPU drivers to an older version as well ?
Thanks for the quick response!
I don't play many graphics demanding games, mainly sticking to eSports such as CS:GO or DotA 2. So I cannot really say. I do not use mods on GTA V nor graphics filters. In fact, I have everything on the lowest settings, despite GeForce Experience's best attempts at having me run it on 'very high'.
I'm not SURE of the PSU model, however I'm 90% sure it is the Corsair CX-500, I would check but my PSU has a dust cover over it.

Also, thanks for the rollback solution, I'll add it to my list :)

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

MrRival

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017
Thanks for the quick response!
I don't play many graphics demanding games, mainly sticking to eSports such as CS:GO or DotA 2. So I cannot really say. I do not use mods on GTA V nor graphics filters. In fact, I have everything on the lowest settings, despite GeForce Experience's best attempts at having me run it on 'very high'.
I'm not SURE of the PSU model, however I'm 90% sure it is the Corsair CX-500, I would check but my PSU has a dust cover over it.

Also, thanks for the rollback solution, I'll add it to my list :)
Did this get resolved as I’m having a similar issue?

Jun 11, 2019
Unfortunately your CPU is really struggling with GTA V and bottlenecking your system to a huge extent.
Your GPU is easily up to the task of running high settings though.

A higher clock speed is needed for GTA V.
Not sure if it utilises more than 4 cores as I used to run it with an i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHZ and a GTX 1060 just fine.

Andy

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS