Question Low gpu usage and gpu usage varies a lot

Nov 21, 2022
HI to all
So,as the title already says it,i have a problem with low gpu usage.First let me list my specs

I7 3770
Radeon sapphire+nitro rx 580 8 gb
8 gb ram
1tb hdd(dont really know the name or brand of it)
Win10 pro with all the latest drivers that i could find

I know this cpu bottlenecks this gpu but not by much,i watched videos of people playing games with the same system setup and not having such issues.
One of the issues i also have i get a lot of stutter in games,i didn't test much games yet,but what i tested is for example,in farming simulator 22 the gpu usage varies a lot between 0,30,70, and 100 and that's where the stuttering occurs while the cpu in this particular game doesn't ever go over 20% usage, it looks like i could be able to play this game at constant 60 fps if not for the stuttering.
I know that this game has a lot of issues by itself but still,i should be able to play this game without any problems

While for example on the game the hunter call of the wild the gpu usage is almost always at 100%,if not at least it doesn't vary that much,same with the cpu,around 50-65% stable fps and i dont get any stutter there.

The gpu usage varies a lot on older games too unless i put all settings to the highest then the usage is somewhat ok but it doesn't stutter since the fps is always high

I tried adding another hdd for extra storage,the 1tb one is honestly in pretty bad shape,it is loud,scratching etc.I know that ssd's are prefered for newer games but i dont have any,could that be the problem or is it my ram,which i believe it is bad since it is only 8gb with 4 sticks x 2gb?

What could i try first to fix this,go for more ram,preferably 2x8gb and upgrade it at the same time to 16 instead of only 8,try a different cpu with this gpu to see if the cpu is not faulty by itself,the only spare cpu i have is an i5 3570k which would cause a bigger bottleneck paired with the rx 580 by some logic,right?

Any advice or help would be much appreciated

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022
I just want to add that the temps are also ok,both cpu and gpu,while the gpu runs at 100% the max it gets is 75c,cpu is around the same temperature,so it's not throttling

Nov 21, 2022
Also,does anyone know what the ideal power consuption is for the rx 580 while gaming?Mine goes only to 154w,i saw on the internet it should be around 180w