Low GPU usage/Frequent FPS drops

Luiz_3

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Hello,
I'm having frequent FPS drops on my games, for example, I was playing CS:GO at 1024x768 and all on low( easier to kill), at a avg fps of : 70-120, but I had drops to numbers like 40,30,20.I also have had drop on Overwatch and Batman(Game keep locked at 30 but with many drops to the 20s).I would also like to say that I had problems with my old GTX 570 because of drops like that and MANY BLACK SCREENS, but the drops used to happen rarely,thus it could be a problem with the PCI express 2.0 from my motherboard or the MB itself. I'm also suffering some ANNOYING slow downs while navigating through web, with just the mozzila, skype , steam opened.

System:
Windows 10 PRO x64
2x4 GB DDR3 1333Mhz
I5 2500K
GALAX GTX 1060 3GB
ANTEC 650W
P8H61-M LE/BR

I have just tested the Batman Arkam Knight so I could do a benchmark and monitor the system, here's what I found: The game was on High/normal, according to benchmarks this GPU would run the game with 100-60 fps. http://i.imgur.com/BhkITdJ.png

Solution
Well that is interesting... what game are you running? The only thing that looks suspicious is the VRAM usage, which is 3GB which happens to be your VRAM on the card! That means that whatever application you are running is taking the whole of you VGA's memory which would explain the slowdowns. Even the RAM usage is pretty high at 7.1GB/8GB, but a game could do that.

Run a virus scan just to make sure nothing is keeping your VGA extra busy when you don't need to.

With such low settings 1024x768 games shouldn't try to use so much memory.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Somehow I don't think it is your GPU...
Open up your Task Manager and see if any apps are hogging your CPU.
What are the temperatures for both CPU and GPU whilst you are playing? One of them could be overheating and throttling down causing those lag spikes.

Luiz_3

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016

The temps are in the imgur link http://i.imgur.com/BhkITdJ.png

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Well that is interesting... what game are you running? The only thing that looks suspicious is the VRAM usage, which is 3GB which happens to be your VRAM on the card! That means that whatever application you are running is taking the whole of you VGA's memory which would explain the slowdowns. Even the RAM usage is pretty high at 7.1GB/8GB, but a game could do that.

Run a virus scan just to make sure nothing is keeping your VGA extra busy when you don't need to.

With such low settings 1024x768 games shouldn't try to use so much memory.

Solution