Dec 12, 2020
rx 580
ryzen 5 2400g
16 gb ram 3200mzh
700w thermaltake smart series psu
asus b450m-a micro atx
1tb hdd
256 gb ssd

Hello when I play fortnite I get low gpu usage it goes to 100 then drops suddenly to 0 which give me stutters fps drops and choppy gameplay but in furmark the usage is above 90 and it looks so smooth any one help? Iv'e been stuck for hours trying to fix this.

Solution
Limit your FPS in fortnite, it doesn't have to be much if you get for example 100FPS limit at 99 or 95, or just use vsync.
That unfortunately, does not solve the problem OP has. Limiting your fps will not magically make the fps drops disappear. We will have to find out why they happen.

The cpu certainly is not up to the task of high fps but it might not be the only issue.

For OP:
Run a UserBenchmark and post the LINK to the results here.
Do you have the latest gpu drivers, chipset drivers, BIOS, windows updates?
How are your temps?
Is the issue new? Does it also happen in other games?
Do you have any monitoring software like MSI afterburner to see what happens when the fps drop?
Limit your FPS in fortnite, it doesn't have to be much if you get for example 100FPS limit at 99 or 95, or just use vsync.
That unfortunately, does not solve the problem OP has. Limiting your fps will not magically make the fps drops disappear. We will have to find out why they happen.

The cpu certainly is not up to the task of high fps but it might not be the only issue.

For OP:
How are your temps?
Do you have any monitoring software like MSI afterburner to see what happens when the fps drop?

Solution
Fortnite uses all cores when FPS are unlimited but is pretty single threaded when running under a limit even if it is at the same FPS you would get without the limit.
In other words a frame limit will make the CPU usage drop by a lot and can stop a good amount of stutters.

Also it's super easy to just try, doesn't take any time at all and can't hurt your system at all, so why shouldn't he try?

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020

For OP:
How are your temps?
Gpu temps are under 60
happens in fortnite only
I run msi afterburner and when I get a stutter my fps drops by 3 or 2. I have everything installed the lastest drivers up to date.