Low GPU usage Gigabyte 1050ti w/ Ryzen 3

Mar 5, 2018
Hey,
I recently built a new budget build with an Ryzen 3 1300x with a Gigabyte Gtx 1050ti Oc 4gb and my CPU usage is in-game almost always at 90-100% while my GPU usage is always at 0-30% (mostly at 0% depends on the game). Because of my low GPU usage I have frame drops from 90 to 40 fps. Does anyone know a way to fix it? Any help would be appriciated.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1300x 3.5Ghz
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050ti OC 4GB
Motherboard: Asus Prime B350-Plus
Ram: Crucial 1x8gb DDR4 2400Mhz
HHD: WD Blue 1TB HDD
PSU: Seasonic M12II 520 watt bronze evo.
I am using the stock CPU cooler.

Solution
If you're getting less than 100% GPU usage or power with OCCT then either the graphics card has an issue or the driver has an issue. Trying the card in another system would be a good approach if new drivers don't help. DDU recommended in safe mode.

jr9

Estimable
High CPU and low GPU usage generally indicates a CPU bottleneck. FPS drops also are caused by this often. A 1300x however should be capable of not bottle necking you unless there are certain aspects of the game that are very CPU heavy. I would try closing down all background applications first to free up system resources. Have a look in your task manager and see if you have a lot of background CPU usage.

GPU usage depends entirely on the games you are playing and the settings. Higher settings should increase GPU usage. Games like WoW will not really utilize your graphics card at all. Games like Siege should push it much harder.

If you haven't already, make sure your display drivers are up to date. A clean uninstallation of graphics card drivers in safe mode with Display Driver Uninstaller followed by a new installation of the drivers in Windows can help as well.

Mar 5, 2018

Thanks for replying :)

I know that it depends on the game but when I run a stress test via MSI Kombuster the GPU usage won't go over 70%. When I run a stress test it should be at 100% right?

Also, I've seen videos from people with the same specs and they do get 70 to 90% ingame. In GTA V for example I get 30% when I am walking around and as soon as I get in a car and start driving fast, my usage goes down to 0% while people in videos get 70% all the time. In other games the usage is low aswell like Wolfenstein or Thief which should be more GPU intensive games. Is my GPU broken? Or is there a setting that is off that should be on?

Video: https://youtu.be/EK_ktjGHyeg

(In BF1 I am getting 0% GPU all the time and 100% CPU)

And, I have my BIOS up to date and my drivers aswell. I will uninstall the drivers as soon as I get home.

jr9

Estimable
I'd run OCCT GPU tool and see if you can get 100% usage. It's the GPU stress test tool I use at work. I used to run Furmark for GPU tests but OCCT is actually way better. You should or there is a problem with the display driver.

GPU usage depends on game and settings but yes doing a stress test is a smart way to figure out if the GPU CAN hit 100% usage. If it can't the driver is messed up or there is an under-clock somewhere. Speaking of underclock, if you have MSI Afterburner installed, try uninstalling it and restarting the PC and playing. I've seen a bug with that program that causes graphics cards to underclock.

Mar 5, 2018

Thanks, I will run OCCT as soon as I get home. I'll post the results over here.

Yesterday I got my new SSD in, so I moved my OS to the SSD. I also uninstalled MSI Afterburner. I will try and see if it runs any better.

Mar 5, 2018

I've ran OCCT and the usage was at 45%. Uninstalled MSI Afterburner but no results. I've also moved my OS to my SSD but also no difference. I got an reply from Gigabyte with their solutions on this problem and this is what they send me:

Dear ***,

Sorry to hear that problem happened. About the issue you mentioned, it may cause by driver, software or hardware issue. We suggest you can try the following steps and see how it works:

(1) The drivers which on our website are verified and without the problem. You can uninstall the current VGA card driver, then reboot the motherboard and install your VGA card driver from our web site, click here.

(2) Please check the game is genuine version and update the game patch to the latest.

(3) If possible, please try to test your VGA card and the games in another system, or test your motherboard with different VGA card to see if there's a hardware problem.

If there is anything we can support further through our system, please provide us graphics card serial number, test result and invoice to verify channel information as different terms may apply.

Regards,
GIGABYTE

I will try those things. And reinstall my drivers.

jr9

Estimable
If you're getting less than 100% GPU usage or power with OCCT then either the graphics card has an issue or the driver has an issue. Trying the card in another system would be a good approach if new drivers don't help. DDU recommended in safe mode.

Solution