Low GPU Usage GTX 1080 Ti and Ryzen 2700X.

Jun 2, 2018
I am scoring fine on benchmarks but I tested with 2 games Far Cry 5 and GTA V then I realized I was getting low GPU usage on both games and it was causing me to get low FPS as well.
The GPU usage generally stays between 50-70% and sometime even drops to like 41% in Far CRY 5. What could be the reason behind it and what should I do? I have 16GB DDR4 @2667MHz and I am playing at 1080p ultra on both games. Also my computer didn't boot after I tried to enable XMP that's why it's set to 2667MHz rather than 3200MHz. Please provide me suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

I would have to assume that your low GPU usage is due to the fact you have a 1080ti and you are playing at 1080p resolution. You said you were getting low fps as well, couple things you can try go to nvidia control panel and set physx to dedicated gpu. Also in 3d settings go to power management options set to prefer maximum performance hit apply. Geforce experience can also cause issues, try these things see if it helps

Jun 2, 2018

I tried what you said but still same thing is happening. What else can I do? And how GeForce Experience can cause issues?

What frame rate are you getting?

At 1080p the GTX 1080Ti doesn't need to work hard, even on ultra, to more than keep up with your CPU. I'm not going to attack your choice of CPU as I don't know what else you use it for, but it's well known that modern games prefer clock speed over core count.

Jun 2, 2018

Well, the FPS goes anywhere from 50 to 140 and I also get dips up to like 20fps sometimes. When I was hitting 140-150fps on Far Cry 5 my GPU usage was around 95-97% but only for few minutes. And also I have this off problem when I set my RAM to run at 3200MHz (speed advertised by the manufacturer) my computer doesn't boot at all. It's running at 2667MHz only. Can it cause a problem? And also ow to fix this?

with newer hardware make sure the mb bios is up to date. go to amd web page make sure you have the newest chipset driver for your mb. on your ram you may have to change the ram voltage or timing to go higher if the newest bios wont run in xmp mode.

TRENDING THREADS