[SOLVED] Low GPU usage in crowded places (GTX 1660 Ti)

Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my gpu usage. Example: When i go to the forest (far cry 4) and no npcs are rendered, I have about 75% gpu usage and about 70 fps on ultra settings. (60hz monitor, no vsync) But when i come to a city or an outpost (lots of npcs), my usage is lowered to 35-40% and so are my fps (30). This happens in all games, and i know it is NOT cpu bottleneck. (cpu usage 20-30%) Temps are about 40 on CPU and about 55-60 on GPU. No overclock. I tried to reinstall drivers, installing older ones, the newest ones,reinstalling windows, setting gpu to high perfomance in control panel

PC:
CPU - i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads
GPU - GTX 1660 Ti
MB - Gigabyte H67MA-USB3-B3
RAM - 8gb 1333mhz dual channel

Solution
Really? I thought cpu bottleneck is like when cpu usage is at 100% and cant keep up with the gpu

Actually it is a bit more complicated than that. Probably it is more accurate if i say the game is creating the cpu bottleneck instead of your hardware have limited grunt causing cpu bottleneck. There might be some limitation inside the game causing cpu usage end up being much lower. When cpu utilization go low enough it will start affecting gpu utilization as well. Lower gpu utilization = lower FPS. this is something that i have seen before with AC Blackflag. My workaround back then was overclocking by 2500K (3.3ghz) to 4.5ghz. My theory is since cpu usage is low i tried to compensate it with much faster clock. And in my case it...

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
I have the exact problem with my RX 580. when there are lower amount of texture the gpu utilizes higher and gives higher FPS but when the amount of textures goes high gpu usage will be lower and results in lower fps. My CPU is not utilizing 100% at all. i don't think its a CPU bottleneck.

i know its stupid but even in Minecraft it does this! when i increase the render distance both of my GPU usage and FPS goes lower but when i lower it the GPU works higher and gives higher FPS(low=300-400 FPS(90% gpu usage), High=100-200 FPS(40% Gpu usage)) CPU is not getting 100% at all.

any help would be appreciated.

Really? I thought cpu bottleneck is like when cpu usage is at 100% and cant keep up with the gpu

Actually it is a bit more complicated than that. Probably it is more accurate if i say the game is creating the cpu bottleneck instead of your hardware have limited grunt causing cpu bottleneck. There might be some limitation inside the game causing cpu usage end up being much lower. When cpu utilization go low enough it will start affecting gpu utilization as well. Lower gpu utilization = lower FPS. this is something that i have seen before with AC Blackflag. My workaround back then was overclocking by 2500K (3.3ghz) to 4.5ghz. My theory is since cpu usage is low i tried to compensate it with much faster clock. And in my case it work. No more frame rate dip. On some games the low stock clock of sandy bridge (it was fine though back in 2011) might cause some issues.

Solution
I have the exact problem with my RX 580. when there are lower amount of texture the gpu utilizes higher and gives higher FPS but when the amount of textures goes high gpu usage will be lower and results in lower fps. My CPU is not utilizing 100% at all. i don't think its a CPU bottleneck.

i know its stupid but even in Minecraft it does this! when i increase the render distance both of my GPU usage and FPS goes lower but when i lower it the GPU works higher and gives higher FPS(low=300-400 FPS(90% gpu usage), High=100-200 FPS(40% Gpu usage)) CPU is not getting 100% at all.

any help would be appreciated.
Can't comment on other games (since you did not specifically mention it) but minecraft is very well known to have performance issue. But on AMD hardware it is even worse due to minecraft using OpenGL.

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
Can't comment on other games (since you did not specifically mention it) but minecraft is very well known to have performance issue. But on AMD hardware it is even worse due to minecraft using OpenGL.
Other games such as RUST and GTA V. These two was always my problem. using 60% of my gpu and giving 45 fps