Low GPU Usage on new GTX 1080

BenjaminPlease

Commendable
May 2, 2016
Hello.
Can anyone help me?
i Just got my GTX 1080 Gaming X from MSI today. I installed it, but when i started gaming, i saw no improvement in any game at all, compared to my GTX 970
When i turned on On-Screen Display from MSI afterburner it shows 35-40%, or 50% usage, while the CPU is also around 30-40%
Mostly on every game..
My specs:
i7 2600k, on 4.5GHz.
8GB HyperX Fury at 1600 mhz
Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 mobo
MSI GTX 1080
All games running from a Crucial 240GB SSD, on a LG Ultrawide 2k (1440p) monitor.
So basicly, the cpu isnt bottlenecking at all, also im playing on 1440p ultrawide.. Any tips?

Solution
Rust seems to be playing fine even though the usage is low and the issue with PUBG is the game and not your hardware. PUBG should be leaving early access this month so I'd expect some performance updates so hopefully that will fix your usage issue and allow for the best performance on that system.

DarkZenith

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

I am pretty sure you are heavily CPU bottlenecked. Few games use all four cores effectively in reality, not to mention there is/was a significant performance boost from the 2nd to 3rd generation of core processors and we are in the 8th generation now. That is likely the cause of your low cpu usage (not all cores and hyperthreaded cores being maxed out). Also a 1080ti can run most games at 4K without issue so any lower you are looking at a processor limitation. Tbh your 970 was likely already capping you out and unless you actually goto 4K you probably wouldn’t notice that much difference unless you went into high end refresh rates.

trekelley

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
Are you lagging?
The 1080 is built to run at your monitors refresh rate to preserve power so it won't use the full gpu if you don't set the graphics settings higher than they previously were.

BenjaminPlease

Commendable
May 2, 2016
Well, i just played a pubg match, CPU stayed around 45-50%, rarely going to 60%, while GPU went to 70% ONCE! when i landed. Then it went back to 40%. Also, i have the same FPS as on VERY LOW, just like on ULTRA.

BenjaminPlease

Commendable
May 2, 2016
@trekelley Yes i am lagging, even having lagspikes. Sometimes while playing rust i hit over 100 fps, on 40% load on the GPU, then it i get a lagspike and fucks me down to 50-55 fps, till it reaches back to 100. lol

It's pubg I get better performance on my fx 6300 wiht an r9 270x than my 2600k + gtx 770 4gb. It is not well optimized at all and has wierd issues all the time.

WildCard999

Titan

That's exactly what it should be like for most games, some that are not fully finished or need optimization such as PUBG you will run into poor performance.

BenjaminPlease

Commendable
May 2, 2016
@wildcard999 but i dont get it. People with a damn i5 6400 get 70 fps in pubg lobby with lots of people, while my i7 2600k OC its even beating a 6600k stock. Why am i getting 40 fps?

Pubg bevhaves quite random sometimes. It's still an unfinished game and has a lot of optimization problems. There are a lot of people with way better pc's than you that are having massive problems with the game too.

WildCard999

Titan

In addition to what jaslion said they could be running at a different resolution which could make such a dramatic difference.

WildCard999

Titan
Rust seems to be playing fine even though the usage is low and the issue with PUBG is the game and not your hardware. PUBG should be leaving early access this month so I'd expect some performance updates so hopefully that will fix your usage issue and allow for the best performance on that system.

Solution