[SOLVED] Low gpu usage RX 5700 XT in csgo, valorant, warzone

OzN3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Hello guys,

I have noticed that during the games mentioned in the title, the graphics card is never used at 100% ( not even in cod warzone ).
I received my new 240hz monitor a few days ago, and often, on csgo and valorant, I can't keep 240fps, just because the graphics card works at low percentages.
Is there any fix to solve this problem? It is not a problem of my config or a case of cpu bottleneck, on unigine heaven, the GPU works at 99%.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4Ghz
GPU: Asus Rog RX 5700XT OC 8GB
MONITOR: Asus Rog XG248Q
AMD Driver: 20.12.1

It happened already with the new RX 5700 XT and old drivers ( about 6 months ago ), but since I was with a 120hz monitor, I never had a problem.
Is there any way to fix this? Any setting from radeon software?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hello guys,

I have noticed that during the games mentioned in the title, the graphics card is never used at 100% ( not even in cod warzone ).
I received my new 240hz monitor a few days ago, and often, on csgo and valorant, I can't keep 240fps, just because the graphics card works at low percentages.
Is there any fix to solve this problem? It is not a problem of my config or a case of cpu bottleneck, on unigine heaven, the GPU works at 99%.

It happened already with the new RX 5700 XT and old drivers ( about 6 months ago ), but since I was with a 120hz monitor, I never had a problem.
Is there any way to fix this? Any setting from...
Hello guys,

Is there any way to fix this? Any setting from radeon software?
Thanks in advance.

Why are you assuming that it isn't a CPU bottleneck? Because your CPU is 8 cores and 16 threads and not that old?

In actuality, you do have a CPU bottleneck. Your GPU is being underutilized because your CPU can't pre-render enough frames and get them out to your GPU fast enough.

The problem with the 2700X (or any Ryzen 2000 CPU really) is its relatively low boost clocks and IPC. Clock speeds are what drive high frame rates, not cores and threads. That's why a Ryzen 5600X is almost just as fast in most gaming benchmarks as the much more core and thread heavy Ryzen 5950X.

Until the release of the Ryzen 5000 series CPUs, Intel CPUs were what you needed for high refresh rate gaming because AMD CPUs didn't have the clock speeds to drive high refresh rates the same way. With the Ryzen 5000 series, that is no longer the case. Ryzen 5000 series CPUs now have the single-core muscle to drive high refresh rates just as good as an Intel CPU.

There isn't some magic switch you can flip to get your GPU more heavily utilized and get higher frame rates at the same time. You can increase quality settings in your games to increase utilization, but that won't increase your frame rate. Decreasing quality settings doesn't do anything I'm guessing because all it does is lower the load on your GPU even more.

In order to take full advantage of your 240 Hz monitor, you need to upgrade your CPU. I would personally recommend a Ryzen 5800X. Your RAM is also a problem as well (its probably holding back your current CPU). You should strongly consider purchasing 2 x 8 GB of RAM running at 3600 MHz. Ryzen CPUs are sensitive to RAM speeds and need fast RAM to run properly.

Solution

OzN3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
You're looking at overall utilization, the average of all your cores and threads together. It only takes ONE maxed-out core/thread for your CPU to hold back the rest of your system.
None of the cores are over 80% of usage ( during warzone ). I don't know, but if the problem was the cpu, I would never use the gpu at 100%, not even on 3dmark, unigine heaven and 3dmark11!?
I searched a bit on the net, and it seems to be a common problem of rx5700xt with 1080p resolution...
When i’ll upgrade the cpu, I’ll find out, now I don’t think it’s old enough to change it :unsure:

None of the cores are over 80% of usage ( during warzone ). I don't know, but if the problem was the cpu, I would never use the gpu at 100%, not even on 3dmark, unigine heaven and 3dmark11!?
I searched a bit on the net, and it seems to be a common problem of rx5700xt with 1080p resolution...
When i’ll upgrade the cpu, I’ll find out, now I don’t think it’s old enough to change it :unsure:

Different games stress the CPU different amounts. In one game you can be CPU limited and in another you aren't because there is less workload on the CPU. The benchmarks you listed are designed specifically for stressing the GPU and are not CPU limited. Your assumption that you aren't being CPU limited because you aren't being CPU limited when running benchmarks is false.

johnsoner13

Respectable
I have a 5700 XT that had low usage at 1080p no matter the settings when I had my ryzen 5 2600. I thought it was driver related but I upgraded to a ryzen 5 5600x anyways and it solved it, GPU is now almost always pegged at 99% when it was previously far lower and fluctuated often. 2700x is hardly better than 2600 in gaming. You need a CPU upgrade

Reactions: RTX 2080

OzN3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
I have a 5700 XT that had low usage at 1080p no matter the settings when I had my ryzen 5 2600. I thought it was driver related but I upgraded to a ryzen 5 5600x anyways and it solved it, GPU is now almost always pegged at 99% when it was previously far lower and fluctuated often. 2700x is hardly better than 2600 in gaming. You need a CPU upgrade
All right, I'll take a Ryzen 5 5600X.
About the ram, technically they are 3200mhz, but when I activate the XMP profile, the pc doesn't boot... I will try to increase the frequency somehow..

TRENDING THREADS