[SOLVED] Low GPU usage when gaming. 2070Super

Apr 25, 2022
Hei guys,

So i have an RTX 2070Super with a Ryzen 7, 3700X. 16 GB ram. When im playing Warzone and open Task manager i can see my GPU usage is around 10 to 20%. What can the issue be? i play all my ingame settings on low at 1080P. Gettings FPS around 115/130 in some areas.

Any idea? the PC is almost new btw.

Solution
i play all my ingame settings on low at 1080P.
A 2070 Super is more than capable of 1080p low quality gaming. If you've got a 1080p monitor, you're probably going to set quality to high or even ultra.

Simplified way a PC plays a game:
  1. CPU figures out what needs to be in a given frame (imagine a rough sketch) based on user and game world input. Issues draw call to GPU to tell it what to render.
    • Think of this as positional tracking. How many things are moving (or have the potential to) from one frame to the next.
  2. GPU receives draw call and makes a pretty picture. Sends to monitor when complete.
    • This is detail. Object is now in new position, how has lighting/shading/etc changed. Re-draw object per...
i play all my ingame settings on low at 1080P.
A 2070 Super is more than capable of 1080p low quality gaming. If you've got a 1080p monitor, you're probably going to set quality to high or even ultra.

1. CPU figures out what needs to be in a given frame (imagine a rough sketch) based on user and game world input. Issues draw call to GPU to tell it what to render.
    • Think of this as positional tracking. How many things are moving (or have the potential to) from one frame to the next.
  2. GPU receives draw call and makes a pretty picture. Sends to monitor when complete.
    • This is detail. Object is now in new position, how has lighting/shading/etc changed. Re-draw object per game/quality rules.
  3. The GPU can't do any work until the CPU tells it what to draw. Raising graphics settings and/or resolution increases the complexity of the GPU's job, making it take longer to render each frame. Lowering settings decreases the complexity of the GPUs job making it take less time to render each frame.
  4. If the GPU finishes rendering a frame before the CPU has finished figuring out what the next frame should contain, the GPU has to wait (<100% GPU usage).
  5. Based on #3 & #4, you should be able to optimize for 90% or greater GPU usage (depending on a game's CPU stress and the CPU/GPU balance of a system)

Reactions: Kogk95
Solution
Apr 25, 2022
og gpu-bruken? det kan være lite bruk fordi du spiller i lave spillinnstillinger
[/TILBUD]
og gpu-bruken? det kan være lite bruk fordi du spiller i lave spillinnstillinger
[/TILBUD]
og cpu/ram-bruk?
prøve opp til detaljer om ingame innstillinger?
[/TILBUD]
og cpu/ram-bruk?
prøve opp til detaljer om ingame innstillinger?
[/TILBUD]
sCPU-ud
and cpu/ram usage?
try up to detail on ingame settings?
CPU usage is 30% ish. Ram usage is 77%. GPU 21% when i open Task manager. This is on low ingame settings. Ok, i see. Maybe that is the reason?

Apr 25, 2022

• This is detail. Object is now in new position, how has lighting/shading/etc changed. Re-draw object per game/quality rules.
  3. The GPU can't do any work until the CPU tells it what to draw. Raising graphics settings and/or resolution increases the complexity of the GPU's job, making it take longer to render each frame. Lowering settings decreases the complexity of the GPUs job making it take less time to render each frame.
  4. If the GPU finishes rendering a frame before the CPU has finished figuring out what the next frame should contain, the GPU has to wait (<100% GPU usage).
  5. Based on #3 & #4, you should be able to optimize for 90% or greater GPU usage (depending on a game's CPU stress and the CPU/GPU balance of a system)
Thanks for the answer ! i see. But i use low settings to get more FPS. So if i play high settings in 1080P by GPU usage is higher but i lose more frames? I also have the NVDIA control panel settings to bost my FPS etc

But i use low settings to get more FPS. So if i play high settings in 1080P by GPU usage is higher but i lose more frames?
A given CPU is only capable of processing a certain number of FPS in a given game. As outlined in my explanation above, raising the quality (essentially) only affects the GPU workload. At 30% duty cycle, your GPU is clearly able to keep up with the draw calls from your CPU at 1080p low. You should notice that there will be a range where increasing the quality settings will not affect FPS. Then you'll hit a "grey area" where FPS will only decrease slightly with quality setting bumps. As/If you get closer to 100% GPU load, you'll start to see greater FPS reductions.

CPU load % is calculated by # of threads loaded / # of threads available. Most games will only load 4-8 threads, so high core count CPUs (like your 3700X) usually won't show high % usage in games. In CPU review gaming benchmarks you'll usually notice that 6 core CPUs will generally be within spitting distance of the highest end ones. The reason those higher end CPUs can still top the chart is generally because of greater cache sizes and the like. The other reason is frequency, and IPC (if you're comparing across multiple generations or AMD vs Intel)

Apr 25, 2022
A given CPU is only capable of processing a certain number of FPS in a given game. As outlined in my explanation above, raising the quality (essentially) only affects the GPU workload. At 30% duty cycle, your GPU is clearly able to keep up with the draw calls from your CPU at 1080p low. You should notice that there will be a range where increasing the quality settings will not affect FPS. Then you'll hit a "grey area" where FPS will only decrease slightly with quality setting bumps. As/If you get closer to 100% GPU load, you'll start to see greater FPS reductions.

CPU load % is calculated by # of threads loaded / # of threads available. Most games will only load 4-8 threads, so high core count CPUs (like your 3700X) usually won't show high % usage in games. In CPU review gaming benchmarks you'll usually notice that 6 core CPUs will generally be within spitting distance of the highest end ones. The reason those higher end CPUs can still top the chart is generally because of greater cache sizes and the like. The other reason is frequency, and IPC (if you're comparing across multiple generations or AMD vs Intel)
Okey, so what i should do is up my settings to high or ultra to have more GPU usage? You say around 90%. Im going to look for that later. I see. That explain alot. Im not so good with PC. This is my first i ever have. I only play Warzone. Ok, so it wont show high usage when gaming? I have 8 cores btw.

I only play Warzone. Ok, so it wont show high usage when gaming? I have 8 cores btw.
8 cores, 16 threads. Your 30% CPU usage from before would suggest ~5 threads loaded, which seems a bit on the low end, but meh.

When you open task manager, are you alt+tabbing out of the game to do so? Sometimes that will change/reduce usage compared to actual in-game usage.

Apr 25, 2022
8 cores, 16 threads. Your 30% CPU usage from before would suggest ~5 threads loaded, which seems a bit on the low end, but meh.

When you open task manager, are you alt+tabbing out of the game to do so? Sometimes that will change/reduce usage compared to actual in-game usage.
I press the windows button and open it. I just up my settings to higher and CPU is 19% and GPU 17%

Okey, so what i should do is up my settings to high or ultra to have more GPU usage? You say around 90%. Im going to look for that later. I see. That explain alot. Im not so good with PC. This is my first i ever have. I only play Warzone. Ok, so it wont show high usage when gaming? I have 8 cores btw.
What's your goal? Performance? Image quality? What?

If your targets are being met, ignore the utilization %.