Question Low GPU usage while gaming

MikeC24

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
Hello everyone , i have been having very low gpu usage when gaming even with everything maxed out it never goes above 40 % and only for like 2 secs , and my CPU is working harder mostly only 1 core is making all the work ill post screenshots of when i was playing csgo with everything maxed out also i set everything to default on nvidia to see if it would push the gpu more but it didnt same as if i was playing with everything on low and i see people with the same setup benchmarking on youtube and they have like 60 % on all cores and gpu is like min 60 % up to 80 %

View: https://imgur.com/a/oCaqMJK

My setup :
CPU: i7 8700 k at 4.5 ghz
GPU: GTX 1080 ARMOR 8gb
MB: ASUS PrimeZ 370 p
RAM: 2 x 8 gb Ripjaws at 2400 mhz
PSU: 630 w berlin 80 +
DISPLAY : MSI Optix Mag27c

TBH honest you are focusing on measurements that can be relevant but in your case are normal.

You've a very strong CPU/GPU. A game like CS:GO, which is pretty light in terms of used resources, WILL NOT use 100% of your CPU or even close. Most games are single threaded (that is changing) so is very typical of one core to be hitting 100% whilst others barely have any load at all.

In addition you have a very strong GPU, and it's exactly the same. CSGO, will hardly make your CPU/GPU break sweat, never mind push it/them to 100% load.

Stop worrying. Your system is fine.

Playing something like BF V would be different. You would expect more cores and threads on the CPU to be maxed (or close) and the GPU to be between 90-100% depending on what you are doing. i.e Single player, multiplayer etc.

On a side note though, what I would be worried about is your PSU. I'd change that asap. It's not a good one. You are OC'ing your CPU, and if you are OC GPU too, you could really be pushing that PSU. I wouldn't trust it at all with good hardware as you have.

Also, comparing youtube vids to your system for the purpose of working out how your system performs is not a good way to do it. Vids can be manipulated, or use slightly different settings, or have different speed ram, or a multitude of variables that will not be exactly the same as your system. I'd trust a youtube video only as far as I could throw it :)

Running some reputable benchmarks like Cinebench15, Aida 64 for CPU and Superposition, or Unigine or 3dmark, will be better for getting accurate measurable results that you can compare to other systems.

MikeC24

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
then i dont know what is wrong with this pc everygame i get high fps but if feels laggy , i cant cap my fps to my monitors refresh rate because i get huge screen tearing blury lines across my screen , if i go unlimited fps the game looks laggy as if it were on 60 hz or 75 hz , i tried so many stuff thats why i thought that could be causing it , because temps are fine , tried diferent drivers , reinstalled windows , moved from hdd to ssd, set everything to default including bios and nothing works it still performs bad worse than back in 2014 when i used to play csgo on a crappy pc