Low GPU Usage whilst gaming.

RespawnPoint

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016
The problem that I'm having is that when playing games like Subnautica and Battlefield 4, my gpu is only getting up to 75% usage. I have checked and neither my GPU or CPU are overheating (they both get to around 50C).

When playing Subnautica my GPU hovers around 40% and my cpus most used core is at 60%. The rest of the cores hover around 30-40%.

When playing Battlefield 4 my GPU hovers around 75% and all my CPU cores are around 65%.

I am not sure if there is a bottleneck here so I would love some help. Thanks!

My specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
RAM: 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 G.Skills Ripjaws X
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080
Power Supply: Corsair RM850X
Case: Fractal Design Define C

Solution
In that particular instance I would say that the CPU would be holding you back. 80% GPU usage seems normal given it's an older platform and you aren't playing in 4k. The 1080 takes a LOT of pushing to get to 100% usage. I'd consider 80% good.

Running a benchmark like userbenchmark can help determine if a part in your PC that is holding you back. If you want to that then post a link to the results.

jr9

Estimable
If your CPU isn't hitting 100% then it's not the CPU, and it's definately not the GPU.

What is your resolution? If it's 1080p then you are probably getting bottlenecked by your monitor. 1080 GTX is more of a 1440p/4k card to push it to its potential. Furmark can tell you if your GPU can actually reach 100% load.

RespawnPoint

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016

I have a 1440p 165hz monitor so the monitor shouldn't be holding me back because I am getting about 80 fps in subnautica and 100fps in battlefield 4. The monitor is g-sync but I haven't enabled v-sync or fast sync. When I tried furmark the gpu hit 99% usage at 65C.

jr9

Estimable
That's good. There is nothing sadder than seeing a 1080GTX hooked up to a 24inch 1080p.

If Furmark can push it to 100% then it's not the drivers or card or power settings limiting you as the card CAN hit 100% power. I think it's the games just not using 100% of the card do to optimization. GPU usage varies from game to game. A game like BF1 I predict would have considerably higher GPU usage and possibly even slight CPU bottleneck in some instances.

BIOS and GPU driver updates may help as well.

RespawnPoint

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016

I just tried Battlefield 1 and all cores on the cpu were at about 90%. The GPU hovers around 80%

jr9

Estimable
In that particular instance I would say that the CPU would be holding you back. 80% GPU usage seems normal given it's an older platform and you aren't playing in 4k. The 1080 takes a LOT of pushing to get to 100% usage. I'd consider 80% good.

Running a benchmark like userbenchmark can help determine if a part in your PC that is holding you back. If you want to that then post a link to the results.

Solution