[SOLVED] Low GPU usage

simo_v

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I have rtx 3070ti 2ghz and played battlefields, far crys and csgo 1440p mostly low preset and GPU usage is around 50-65%. Is this normal? No fps drops. I7 9700k 5ghz and 32gb ram

Solution
Yep fps never drops below monitors refresh rate. Just moved to 1440p and bought that gpu and started worry when i saw the usage

In that case, you probably have no reason to run your games with all your settings set to low. Turning up quality settings will increase the load on your GPU without reducing your frame rate. Try turning up your quality settings to medium or high. You should see visual improvements with no reduction in fps.
Lowering the preset lowers GPU usage because the burden of higher frame rate shifts to the CPU and the CPU determines the maximum frame rate. At this point, the GPU is waiting for the CPU to give it work to do and is doing whatever it's getting so fast that it just idles half the time.

simo_v

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Lowering the preset lowers GPU usage because the burden of higher frame rate shifts to the CPU and the CPU determines the maximum frame rate. At this point, the GPU is waiting for the CPU to give it work to do and is doing whatever it's getting so fast that it just idles half the time.
Yeah i know that. Ultra preset bf 1 GPU usage still not hit 100%. YouTube videos that i watched GPU hits 100% same setting and setup then i started thinking is something wrong

D

Deleted member 1560910

Al i can really say without going through each game is this. If you run firestrike and performance is somewhere on par with others with same set up then you PC is running as it was intended to. 3070ti destroys 1440p and im not surprised you are seeing bottlenecking. Even the best systems in the right conditions can bottleneck. Playing Battlefield myself on certain maps i dont always get 99% usage on my GPU. Playing online multiplayer can cause usage to drop ? As a example i can get almost 120 locked on BF5 maxed out at 3440x 1440 on my 2080ti . I dont know it that helped but if your getting high fps who cares if it bottlenck. Chances are everything is fine and you are like me when i get something new and worry about it

simo_v

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Al i can really say without going through each game is this. If you run firestrike and performance is somewhere on par with others with same set up then you PC is running as it was intended to. 3070ti destroys 1440p and im not surprised you are seeing bottlenecking. Even the best systems in the right conditions can bottleneck. Playing Battlefield myself on certain maps i dont always get 99% usage on my GPU. Playing online multiplayer can cause usage to drop ? As a example i can get almost 120 locked on BF5 maxed out at 3440x 1440 on my 2080ti . I dont know it that helped but if your getting high fps who cares if it bottlenck. Chances are everything is fine and you are like me when i get something new and worry about it
Yep fps never drops below monitors refresh rate. Just moved to 1440p and bought that gpu and started worry when i saw the usage

In that case, you probably have no reason to run your games with all your settings set to low. Turning up quality settings will increase the load on your GPU without reducing your frame rate. Try turning up your quality settings to medium or high. You should see visual improvements with no reduction in fps.

Solution