Question Low GPU Usage

kacpercusen

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2015
Hi,

I have an i5-9600kf clocked at 4.3GHz and rtx 3060 boosting over 2000MHz and it stays below 50% usage when playing battlefield. I have changed all my settings to max performance and have updated all drivers. Any help is appreciated thanks.

First question: Do you have VSync or a Frame Rate Limiter set?

Have you tested on both Single Player/Campaign (offline) and Multiplayer (online) modes?

When you say max "performance"...what do you mean by that? Is "Low" graphics settings = max performance in your opinion?

Simplified way a PC plays a game:
  1. CPU figures out what needs to be in a given frame (imagine a rough sketch) based on user and game world input. Issues draw call to GPU to tell it what to render.
    • Think of this as positional tracking. How many things are moving (or have the potential to) from one frame to the next.
  2. GPU receives draw call and makes a pretty picture. Sends to monitor when complete.
    • This is detail. Object is now in new position, how has lighting/shading/etc changed. Re-draw object per game/quality rules.
  3. The GPU can't do any work until the CPU tells it what to draw. Raising graphics settings and/or resolution increases the complexity of the GPU's job, making it take longer to render each frame. Lowering settings decreases the complexity of the GPUs job making it take less time to render each frame.
  4. If the GPU finishes rendering a frame before the CPU has finished figuring out what the next frame should contain, the GPU has to wait (<100% GPU usage).
  5. Based on #3 & #4, you should be able to optimize for 90% or greater GPU usage (depending on a game's CPU stress and the CPU/GPU balance of a system)
Generally, the more unique reactions that can take place in a game, the more stressful it is on a CPU. This may include online gameplay where each players' actions need to be tracked, or it may be a lot of AI/NPC characters/units on screen, or even destructible environments. Conversely, if the graphical complexity of the game art is simple (ie CS:GO) the GPU may be able to crank out frames at such an incredible rate that the CPU becomes the limitation.

Last edited:

kacpercusen

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2015
I do not have a frame limiter set. I am on medium graphics, I have all my Nvidia control panel and system setting on max performance, low latency modes enabled stuff like that I've done all of it I think and I am not getting anywhere near the fps other people are posting on the game. The system is quite fresh btw and I have not really had issues most of the time but occasionally in some games it just doesn't go above 50, just then I got it to 70% in loading screen and when i spawned straight back to 30%.

kacpercusen

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2015
it's on an SSD, I have 32gb 4200mhz ram, I have a high end 3060 and the cpu is boosted, same game reso and settings and my internet speed is about 700mbps. Nothing should be an issue, this guy was getting over 144fps whilst Im getting below 100 with stuttering.

kacpercusen

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2015
Is your 4200MHz RAM a 2x16GB kit? Did you manually set it in your BIOS to run at 4200MHz?

What FPS are you getting at what game quality setting in BF5? Are you testing in single player (offline) gameplay?

First vid is a laptop. If you're running a desktop RTX3060 that's a big difference already. i7-10870H, assumedly 2x8GB=16GB RAM. BF5 campaign (offline) 1080p, low/medium/high/ultra.

Second link article:
1080p is assumedly your resolution. Are you testing at ultra quality settings in-game? (sounds like you're at medium)

You had a 2060 and ran the same game, in the same testing scene as you are now. You're still testing at medium(?) or high(?) settings and getting lower FPS?

BF5 game test, single player / offline, 1080p, graphics quality setting = high:
RTX2060 = ? FPS
RTX3060 = ? FPS

kacpercusen

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2015
I have tested offline and online at all qualities, similar fps with all and stuttering, 30-40% usage on all aswell. ram is running at 4200 2x16. yes the video is different but I should be seeing better results either way. Yes I ran the same game in the same system and it was smooth sailing off the bat.