Question Low GPU wattage draw ?

May 30, 2024
Had a power outage last week while my computer was on, and it caused my EVGA G3 750W PSU to make an arcing sound while under any high load. I stopped using it and waited for my replacement PSU to arrive, which is an EVGA G5 850W. I installed it this morning and had some terrible performance while under load. With GeForce's overlay up, I noticed the GPU wattage would not go above 50W while in a game. FPS was <15 most of the time and render latency was through the roof. While at idle or just web browsing, the overlay would show 100+ watts.

After some troubleshooting, I reinstalled the latest GPU driver and it seems to have fixed the terrible performance but the GPU wattage is showing <100W while I am getting 140+FPS at 1440p in CoD and MSFS.
I do not want to cause any damage to my rig so here I am trying to figure this issue out. Now I will admit I used the cables I had been using on the G3 (to save some install time) as EVGA showed the G3 and G5 cables were compatible. I know that is usually a no-no, but I wanted to avoid messing with the MOBO and CPU power connectors as they are a PITA in my case.

Any recommendations on what this issue could be? Is GeForce's overlay even reliable to track this sort of thing?

PC Specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte 570 Gaming-X
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X w/ DeepCool Air Cooler
GPU: 4070 Ti Super
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB