[SOLVED] Low Idle GPU temps with aio, but fairly high temps when underload?

ileka2468

Commendable
May 24, 2021
So I recently bought a kraken x53 along with a kraken g12 aio gpu bracket to water cool my Gigabyte Radeon rx580. What ive noticed after installing it is that the gpu idles really low and way better than before at like anywhere from 23 -40 depending on the situation. Like right now it is 24 degrees and yesterday it was idling in the high 30s. But I digress. The main issue im seeing is that whenever its underload and Im gaming it reaches temps of almost 78 -80 degrees which is quite concerning for something that is being water-cooled. I suspect the issue could be bad thermal contact with the gpu die and the aio cold plate. I thinks its also worth mentioning that during the setup I ran into a lot of issues where the card wasn't getting cooled at all. I don't know if it was because the pump wasn't working, or if the retightening of the cold plate onto the die is what fixed it. Any suggestions would be helpful because at this point I feel like I spent $180 on cooling equipment and the original gpu heatsink and fans performed better...

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600x
Gigabyte Radeon Rx 580 4gb
Oloy 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
MSI b450m gaming plus
Kraken x53 gpu cooler
Thermaltake smart 500w 80+ white

Solution
Sounds like too much thermal paste, and no do not tighten more, perhaps less is the better option. Snug not tightened down, no jiggle.

Maybe apply the paste more thinly and evenly. Like I said snug and not tight, you may actually be squeezing out paste which makes sense having good IDLE and high load.

That being said the lows should stay that low but the load temp shouldn't exceed 55C though I've never used that cooler.
Sounds like too much thermal paste, and no do not tighten more, perhaps less is the better option. Snug not tightened down, no jiggle.

Maybe apply the paste more thinly and evenly. Like I said snug and not tight, you may actually be squeezing out paste which makes sense having good IDLE and high load.

That being said the lows should stay that low but the load temp shouldn't exceed 55C though I've never used that cooler.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What paste was used. It's important. Many 'great' cpu pastes do not work with gpus. There's a huge difference between the rough metallic surface of the cpu IHS and the slick glass surface of the gpu die. Most pastes will either run off or heat/pressure will force them out leaving sections of the die surface bare of any paste.

It's also important that the pump be attached correctly, requiring firm but even pressure, screws being tightened in an X sequence a few threads at a time, or you'll force the paste out one edge and get varied temp results.

Reactions: spentshells

ileka2468

Commendable
May 24, 2021
What paste was used. It's important. Many 'great' cpu pastes do not work with gpus. There's a huge difference between the rough metallic surface of the cpu IHS and the slick glass surface of the gpu die. Most pastes will either run off or heat/pressure will force them out leaving sections of the die surface bare of any paste.

It's also important that the pump be attached correctly, requiring firm but even pressure, screws being tightened in an X sequence a few threads at a time, or you'll force the paste out one edge and get varied temp results.

I'm using thermal grizzly Kryonaut. But yeah you're probably right it was likely due to the manner I mounted the pump to the die. I didn't do it in an X shaped pattern, I kind of just did it in a 360 pattern fully tightening each screw which like you said probably pushed all of the paste off of the die. I'll redo it later today, and get back to you on the results. Thanks!

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017

Does the Kryonaut thermal grease work with GPU's or no? I might do so with my RTX 2080 that has been having temp issues for the longest time.