[SOLVED] Low-Intensity 3-Monitor Graphics Card

Sep 27, 2020
I'm working on designing my first custom PC build and I have most of the parts picked out:
  • Ryzen 5 3600X
  • Gigabyte A520M DS3H
  • 2x16GB RAM
  • WD Black 500GB SSD
  • Toshiba 3TB HDD
  • Antec 450W PSU
  • Antec NX220 Case
  • Gigabyte AC92260 Wifi/Bluetooth
The biggest thing I'm missing is a graphics card. I don't do any gaming so frame rates and overclocking are irrelevant to me. However, I do a lot of multitasking so I need 3+ monitors, and it needs to run CAD software smoothly. My budget for a graphics card is ~$100 (maybe up to $150 if nothing is available for less). Looking for suggestions.

One thing I was considering was switching to an Intel build and using the integrated graphics in a (more expensive) i5-10600 in parallel with a cheaper graphics card that would only need to run dual monitors. Is this a good idea or am I better off sticking with a single graphics card?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Last edited:
Solution
On the intel side, integrated graphics will run three monitors.
Perhaps the issue might be that motherboards will have a mix of different connection options.
I might suggest you look at a wide screen single monitor.
I built a desktop pc for my son using a 8 thread i3-10100 processor with integrated graphics.
He had a 34" lg monitor with 2560 x 1080P resolution. Essentially two 1080P monitors, side by side with no dividing band.
Connecting via displayport, integrated HD630 graphics displayed full resolution at 60hz.
The compute needs of your app will likely be different.
I5-10600 has 12 threads and a turbo of 4.8
Likely, very good for your needs.
If you are heavy on multitasking, consider a 2 x 16gb ram kit.
2666 speed is fine, no more...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you're choice of a 450w psu will limit your choice for sure. i have a 1650 super which has no problem running 3 monitors. and it only needs a 6-pin connection. think i paid $159 for it on sale.

i don't think the options closer to $100 will handle 3 monitors but i might be wrong there. you need to look closely at specs to see what it can handle. i believe a reg 1650 will also handle 3 monitors and many of those models do not need any extra power, making them good for low power system.

Sep 27, 2020
i don't think the options closer to $100 will handle 3 monitors but i might be wrong there. you need to look closely at specs to see what it can handle. i believe a reg 1650 will also handle 3 monitors and many of those models do not need any extra power, making them good for low power system.
I can get a 1650 for ~$160 but that's really more than I wanted to spend on a graphics card. I've found a number of cards for around $100 that claim to be able to run 3 monitors. For my non-gaming purposes, what properties should I be looking for in a graphics card to know which is better than another?

you're choice of a 450w psu will limit your choice for sure.
Everything I saw said that 450W should be more than enough for that setup with a budget graphics card. Is that not true?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
for non-gaming you want the ability to handle as many monitors as you need and the right outputs for those monitors. but budget cards tend to not have a lot of outputs and you usually end up with adapters to get everything hooked up. they can run $10 or more each. that money is better spent buying a slightly better card with the right outputs if possible. makes more sense than a bunch of money for adapters!!

450w is plenty for a budget card, i was just making note that it pretty much limits you to such a card since i can't power even a decent mid ranged card. i've not looked into every card's specs but i believe the 1650 might be the lowest you can go and still handle 3 monitors. but i'd still look as i am not 100% sure on that one.

a 1050ti is the next down the list but they can cost just as much or more than a 1650 for less performance. it may be different in your country though so do look into it.

On the intel side, integrated graphics will run three monitors.
Perhaps the issue might be that motherboards will have a mix of different connection options.
I might suggest you look at a wide screen single monitor.
I built a desktop pc for my son using a 8 thread i3-10100 processor with integrated graphics.
He had a 34" lg monitor with 2560 x 1080P resolution. Essentially two 1080P monitors, side by side with no dividing band.
Connecting via displayport, integrated HD630 graphics displayed full resolution at 60hz.
The compute needs of your app will likely be different.
I5-10600 has 12 threads and a turbo of 4.8
Likely, very good for your needs.
If you are heavy on multitasking, consider a 2 x 16gb ram kit.
2666 speed is fine, no more than 2933.
The ryzen processors depend on fast ram for performance. More like 3600.

Today, with lower ssd prices, I think I would opt for a 1tb pcie m.2 ssd like the samsung 970 evo plus.

Many H460 based motherboards will include integrated lan and bluetooth.
Here is an example:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119309
Hopefully, the HDD will be used mainly for buld storage of sequential data like videos.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 27, 2020
So it makes sense to spend an extra $50 on the 10600 over the 3600X and get a cheaper graphics card to run the main monitor, with the side monitors running on the integrated graphics? Something like a Gigabyte GT 710 2GB for $50 instead of a GTX 750Ti or RX 560 for ~$100

So it makes sense to spend an extra $50 on the 10600 over the 3600X and get a cheaper graphics card to run the main monitor, with the side monitors running on the integrated graphics? Something like a Gigabyte GT 710 2GB for $50 instead of a GTX 750Ti or RX 560 for ~$100
No need even for a cheap graphics card.
HD630 is capable of running 3 monitors.
Here are the specs for the motherboard I listed:
Integrated Graphics Processor
1 x DisplayPort 1.4 **
1 x HDMI 1.4b
1 x DVI-D
* Graphics specifications may vary between CPU types.
** Support DisplayPort 1.4 with max. resolution of 4096 x 2304 @60Hz.

Sep 27, 2020
No need even for a cheap graphics card.
HD630 is capable of running 3 monitors.
Will the integrated graphics be enough to run CAD software smoothly? I read that they're not good for much more than web browsing, but most of the reviews are focused on graphics-intensive gaming.

HD630 is about 2x as capable as GT710 graphics.
Integrated HD630 graphics can display HD movies perfectly well.
So far as I know it is the processor that is what is important in running software such as CAD,
You might look at the specs for your CAD software to find the minimum and recommended hardware requirements.

Some software, can use the CUDA cores of nvidia graphics cards to assist in computation.