Low IOPS on Samsung 840 Pro

Murderotica926

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
The 256GB 840 Pro SSD I recently purchased is advertised at 100K IOPS read and 97K IOPS write. When I benchmark, I'm only getting between 35K and 45K IOPS write. I've tried trimming, I've tried the performance optimization within Samsung's Magician software, I have the latest chipset driver for my motherboard, the latest firmware on the SSD, and I'm using the actual SATA 6Gb/s ports, NOT the ASMedia SATA ports. The drive has over 150GB of free space and it's running in AHCI. The drive is less than one month old

Can someone please tell me why my IOPS write is less than half of what it's supposed to be? I'm about to return it, because I specifically bought this SSD to replace my Intel 520 which had 80K IOPS write

Any other tasks, like virus scan stopped while testing? I just tested mine and it shows 55k write. Beside that, you don't expect to see any difference? The iops only matters for heavy database applications and alike, but not for desktop application.

+1

Just to clarify, you're getting half of the advertised writes benchmarking with Samsung's Magician software?

As a last resort before you return the drive, Secure Erase it, connect it to the other Intel 6Gb/s port in AHCI mode that your motherboard has, and do a fresh install of your O/S.

After the install is complete benchmark it with Magician before doing any tweaks or optimizations.

Murderotica926

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Part of the problem was CPU throttling. SpeedStep was reducing my CPU speed to idle speed (1600Mhz) so I ran a single thread of Prime95 in the background to keep my CPU speed at 4.4Ghz. My IOPS write went up to 75K, but that's still not 97K, and I'm not content with that. AS SSD shows about 75K as well. It already is in AHCI mode and it's connected to the Intel 6GB/s port, but I will switch it to the other one and do a secure erase and then a fresh install. I just don't like not getting what I paid for, even if I'll rarely notice IOPS write speeds. I could have saved money and gone with a cheaper SSD that only had 40K write if that's the case.

Murderotica926

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Yes, I was, but I have not heard of these problems. The previous Intel 520 SSD that I had always performed better than the rated speeds whenever I benchmarked it. So I don't know why one SSD would over-perform and another would under-perform.

mortici

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
If you have the asrock z77 extreme4 like I do, go into the BIOS and under advanced -> cpu: Disable C1e state, then go under Storage Options and disable SATA power management. Benchmark and see what your results are, then re-enable C1e state, test again. Depending on the results use the c1e setting that gets you the best result.

My results after disabling both: http://i.imgur.com/ZzOP9bR.png

kazmer81

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2013
Hi, I'm having the same problem as the OP with my Samsung 256GB 840 pro. Was there ever a solution to this?

The computer I'm using with my SSD:
Sager 8130 / Clevo 151hm1
SSD: Samsung 256GB 840 Pro
CPU: i7 2630QM
RAM: 8GB (665.2 MHz 9-9-9-24 1T)
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 460M
Chipset: HM67

Here is a screen shot of the Samsung benchmark software. I got the same results with AS-SSD.
256GB_840Pro_Slow_Write.PNG

popatim

Titan
Please keep your problem to your thread that you've already started. There's no need to bump up someone else's old thread; we'll just tell you to start your own... but you already have one.

Feel free to let us know how Mortici's advice works for you in your thread.

Grzywa

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I have same issue with the same drive on MSI GD80 motherboard. Initially just after system installation it was reaching 90k IOPS now it's up to 45k.
And please do not tell people to contain their self's to their own thread as this is clearly same issue. So it is good to have confirmation that issue is common and that suggests that solution might be common too.