Question Low Memory and Pagefile error out of the blue ?

DragonGunner

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
So I just had a terrifying moment when Windows started stuttering and Chrome started to hang, Pop up Ctrl+SHIFT+ESC and instead of being greeted by the ordinary set of tabs, I'm only shown a "LOW MEMORY" banner and a handful of processes, with only their RAM consumption shown (44% in use). By this point the stuttering had stopped. Pulling up the task manager (again) now opened the regular window. I immediately looked into the performance, and saw more than half of my entirely overkill 32 gigs of RAM unused, but a paged pool of 2.1 GB.

All I had running was two dozen Chrome tabs (all research articles), NiceHash QuickMiner (running), iCUe, Logitech Hub, the Battle.net launcher, and MSI Afterburner.

NiceHash wasn't reporting any rejects. Ending NHQM and returning the GPU undervolt to default unsurprisingly did nothing. I ran sfc /scannow as admin, but forgot to save the log. When it finished it said it had found some issues that could not be resolved. Restarted and ran it again, then got the same message. I have that log, but it's enormous and I don't know what to look for. Running the miner did not effect memory or CPU. Pagefile hasn't exceeded 900 MB. A thorough anti-virus scan showed up nothing. Drivers and Windows version are all up to date.

To be clear, I'm not sure I actually have an issue? If there is some registry issue, I have no idea what it could be. This has never happened to me before, and I'm unable to replicate it. Pagefile is sitting around 900 MB right now.

For reference, I have an i7-9700k no oc, a water-cooled RTX 2080S, 4x 8 GB dual channel RAM @2400 MHz (no XMP), 850W Bronze, and several SSDs - my boot drive has 46/231 GB available. The components are all very well cooled, with the GPU rarely exceeding 50c and the CPU 65c. The only registry change I've ever made was disabling Cortana.

Your insight is appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"All I had running was two dozen Chrome tabs (all research articles), NiceHash QuickMiner (running), iCUe, Logitech Hub, the Battle.net launcher, and MSI Afterburner. "

Plenty of opportunity there for some resource conflict to have occurred. Could have just been a one time glitch or gremlin.

First:

Ensure that all important data is backed up, proven recoverable, and readable. Two sets: one set one another network device and a second set stored off of the computer and network.

Second:

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and perhaps even an informational event that corresponds with the time that Windows began stuttering.

= = = =

How old is the PSU? Noted 850 watts and likely to be sufficient. However, if the PSU has been constantly providing high wattage levels (mining also noted) then the PSU may be starting to falter. Okay until it or its host computer hits some threshold condition/circumstances and then stutters.

DragonGunner

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
I'd hoped this was a one-off, but it happened again. When I hit the Task Manager hotkey, it brought up the limited memory window like before, but total utilization was <60%. Only Chrome and Afterburner were open (no oc), error hit when a game started.

I have backups. I've had that drilled into me enough times.

Reliability monitor shows two instances of "Microsoft Windows Operating System stopped working." Event Viewer shows DCOM "The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID" and DWM crash, and a virtual memory exhaustion warning. The previous instance, on Tuesday, also has a DWM crash and DCOM errors, but no resource exhaustion warning.
Memory: https://justpaste.it/2unqz DCOM: https://justpaste.it/65jbd

My PSU is pretty old, actually - six or seven years old. Is there a way to check if it's failing?