low memory issue from 2GBs on Win 7

ranger 1979

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
:??: Hi all i hope you can help me ... I've recently rebuilt a pc for a friend of mine. ive put in 2Gbs of DDR1 memory and a intel celeron CPU and board with mindows 7.. for some reason its used more memory that it should do and has left me with 952mb to operate with and ideas on how to resolve this, and possibly help give my ears a rest from my friends nagging about it, thks to all that reply.

Was this computer running Windows 7 before the rebuild? It seems to me that 952MB is about right. I don't have the leanest system, I have quite a few things in my system tray (WCG is one of them), and I am using over 2GB out of 4GB. Using just over 1GB isn't too bad.

If you think it should be leaner, you need to take a hard look at what is running in the background. A good place to start is msconfig. See what's in the start up and what you think you can do without. The obvious ones are Google update, Java Update, Quicktime, Adobe Reader, and anything else from Apple really. If you don't know what it is, eliminating it from msconfig is the safest way to approach it, as it's easy to add it back if you realize it's something you need.

The next place is find out what Windows services you can do without. Be careful and do some research before just going willy nilly and shutting off services. It's not always obvious that some services are needed for certain things to function properly.

With a little work, you can lean down your memory usage, however I think that your system isn't leaning too heavily on your RAM as it is, so the gain may not be worth the effort.

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Have you tried one stick at a time or reseating them both? Sounds like 1GB and maybe some taken off if you are using on board graphics. Windows 7 should run comfortably enough in 2GB as long as you aren't doing anything too hefty!

You could download the free Speccy from Piriform, should give you a breakdown of the components including what memory is plugged into what socket.