cadillacchad

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I built a new pc and when I ran the window 7 experience test, My memory showed a score of 5.9. I have an identical system with a dual core cpu instead of a quad and it gets a 7.2 on its mem test with the same memory. I tried putting 4gb of kingston ddr3 1333 cas 7 mem in the machine and it also got the same 5.9 so I know the memory modules are fine( the kingston gets a 7.2 in my main pc). Next I thought that maybe the MB had bad dimm slots so I swapped the MB for an Identical MB and the memory still scored 5.9. Next I swapped the PSU thinking it could be a voltage problem. Got the same results. My settings in the bios should be fine since the second Mb I put in it was the one that I was already getting a 7.2 with in my identical system. Could this be a CPU problem causing the memory to preform low and why? How can I test this? How can I resolve this? Could I be missing something else?

specs:
MB - ecs 785gm-m (have two tried both)
CPU - Athlon x4 640 3.0ghz
memory - 4gb wintec amp x ddr3 1333 (also tried 4gb kingston ddr3 1333 cas 7)
PSU - 500w apevia (P.O.S.) (Have two, tried both)
HDD - seagate 500gb sata
Windows 7 64 bit

Indy-Go

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
It looks to be a budget minded system - nothing extreme and your not looking to OC anything so, I suspect you get what you pay for. You win some and you lose some. thats just the name of the game.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
^True, but that does seem awfully low...

I'll be honest, I'm not a memory expert. It's kind of counter-intuitive, but what does it do if you take one stick out and then retest it? What about the other one? Is there once specific stick of memory that's dragging everything down?

cadillacchad

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I figured it out. The other system has an hd5770 video card so it boosts the mem score from 5.9 to 7.2 because its adding system memory. Thanks for trying to help. and (fyi) this is not my personal computer. I sell these computers. My PC gets all 7's.

MSI 870
AMD 3.2ghz x4 955 b.e.
8gb kingston ddr3 1333 cas 7
700sx cougar psu
XFX ATI hd5870
crucial 128gb SSD
1tb wd caviar black 6gb/s