Question Low Memory Usage | 4X8| on Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15ALC6 ?

Dec 2, 2022
Hello, I recently upgraded my laptop with 8 gb stick(changed 4gb stick) and now only the soldered ram works.
When i run game, she use only 1-2gb of ram. And If i try to run browser or something else I get "Out of Memory" error, but laptop uses only half of the installed ram.

This is my specs
2n4H6c3.png

MtgWQ9L.png

1m8mwQ0.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
Programs like that can just slow pc down as clearing memory just makes windows have to load them from storage next time it needs process.

edit: wrong figures used

what model lenovo laptop is it?

You need a page file, I would turn it back on. PC only uses it if it needs it, if its not there you get memory errors even if you have spare ram.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Your system is only reporting 9.85gb of ram? it should show totals in that heading. Total available = all your ram.
10.8gb virtual memory usage
working set is actual ram usage
jrrGKbE.jpg

that virtual memory figure isn't page file, thats just whats being used now.
My page file is only 2gb

so is the 4gb soldered onto board?

You might want to run memtest. once on the 4gb only to make sure its okay, and other time on both sticks since you can't remove the 4gb

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

it looks to me like stick you bought might not be compatible with laptop.
Can't say I have heard of Kingspec before
KS3200D4N12008G

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022
Problem solved:
I upgraded to the latest edition of Windows 11 Pro (Stable) and set the pagefile to 1.5 times the size of my RAM, and the physical memory started to be used. (this is complete nonsense, but it works)

Without a pagefile, the system just crashes games and does not use more than 2GB of physical memory

Colif

Win 11 Master
i can only think that the ram was being used, but by system processes that now run from the page file.

There are parts of programs that don't need to run in ram. But if you don't have a page file, everything is forced to run in ram.

That program you showed is working against how windows manages ram now.

Windows is more likely to compress things into ram than close them. Its much faster to decompress something in ram than to load it from storage.
When you close any program, windows is more likely to compress it into ram just in case you open it again. It only writes it to disk if you need that space or are turning PC off.
free ram isn't helping you. If you have a page file and windows needs the ram that currently has compressed apps in it, it will write that info to page file.