[SOLVED] Low or unstable GPU usage in GTA V

XSR

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
Hello,

Recently iv'e bought an used PC its specs are ok for 250$. My biggest problem is with my GPU usage in games, Mostly I play GTA V and Fortnite. I'm not sure if this is normal.
In GTA V (first mission) my GPU usage was 100% but it was unstable all the time going from 0-100% and 100-0%, and clock speed was at max.
All the temps were OK (GPU - 79C~80C, CPU - 50C~55C).

PC Specs:
  • Intel Core i5 6600
  • Sapphire Pulse RX 570 4GB Mini ITX
  • Corsair 2x4GB DDR4 2666Mhz RAM
  • 240GB SSD (where GTA V is installed)

IMG-9723.thumb.jpg.c59e09736d567e30afaf3c450b8a36ab.jpg

IMG-9724.thumb.jpg.379bc4ff531ec925fca1145ae870d997.jpg

Solution
Oversimplified description of CPU & GPU roles in games:
  • CPU determines what should be shown in each frame and sends the "draw call" to the GPU
    • What should be in the scene, where it should be, etc
  • The GPU renders the scene in the frame (generates a picture essentially) and sends it down the pipeline to the monitor
  • As you'd imagine, the GPU doesn't know what to draw until the draw call is received from the CPU. If the CPU isn't able to complete the draw call for the next successive frame before the GPU finishes the previous one, the GPU must "wait". This would result in <100% GPU usage for that duration. This generally happens when many things are changing from one frame to the next, and/or when the graphical...
Sheesh, the GPU usage is all over the place, usually I see similar issues if the vram is being taxed out in that game, but you are under the 4GB limit. Do you have any screen capture programs running? Or any overlays? The game in Fullscreen? Sometimes that will cause weird problems. Other than than, you may have to reinstall your Video drivers and see if it smooths it out.

But if you get smooth FPS, I wouldn't worry about it to much, but I don't think its that smooth by that graph.

Oversimplified description of CPU & GPU roles in games:
  • CPU determines what should be shown in each frame and sends the "draw call" to the GPU
    • What should be in the scene, where it should be, etc
  • The GPU renders the scene in the frame (generates a picture essentially) and sends it down the pipeline to the monitor
  • As you'd imagine, the GPU doesn't know what to draw until the draw call is received from the CPU. If the CPU isn't able to complete the draw call for the next successive frame before the GPU finishes the previous one, the GPU must "wait". This would result in <100% GPU usage for that duration. This generally happens when many things are changing from one frame to the next, and/or when the graphical complexity is comparatively low (think high FPS and low video quality settings).
  • If the graphical complexity is high, the GPU will not be able to finish rendering each frame before the CPU sends it the next frame's draw call. In that case, the CPU would be at <100% usage.
A few considerations:
  • GTA5 is a pretty CPU-heavy game. It gets used all the time for CPU gaming benchmarks.
  • An i5-6600 very well could cause a CPU bottleneck in GTA5, even with an RX570.
  • You have 2 sticks of ram in your system. How many slots are there on the motherboard for RAM? 2 or 4? If 4, make sure the 2 sticks are in the proper slots to enable "dual channel" operation
  • Since the GPU usage is going to 0%, (if true) that should be accompanied by a pretty noticeable hitch/pause in animation smoothness. Is that happening? Otherwise, maybe this is just incorrect software reporting.
  • I see at about 2/3 of the way to the right of the graphs, there's a noticeable CPU usage % spike which correlates to a significant drop in GPU core clock. That was probably a noticeable hitch/pause in animation (unless it was a load screen), but the rest of the timeline on that graph looks normal. Seems odd that the CPU usage is only averaging around 30% though. VRAM usage is consistently under 3GB, so that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Solution