Low Overclocking Potential

hypnopaedia

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
I have an NVIDIA ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Ti:

(http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX650_TI1GD5/)

I've been using it for a year or two now and it still runs rather well. Not top of the line graphics card, but can run a good lot of games on high end settings with little to no trouble. I'm just getting into overclocking now, and I've scoured the internet for some numbers on the card. What I've seen from the community so far is that they can overclock this specific card to ~1150 MHz on the core clock and ~1200 on the memory clock, whereas I can't get my core clock above 1058 without problems. Temperature is still under 70 C, so I have alot of headroom in that area, but games and benchmarks crash anywhere above 1058 MHz, and sometimes crash at that level.

I am thinking this is just because its an older card that's not top of the line. I'm not expecting to play Crysis max graphics 60 fps, but I did not expect the issues I'm having. It's strange because I haven't found a limit for the Memory clock, it goes much higher than the core clock without issues.

If there's any advice you guys can give, I'd really appreciate it! I just need some feedback on whether I just need to upgrade or if there's a real issue.

Solution
First of all, not every GPU chip will have the same potential for overclocking. So you've found the sweet spot of your GPU core clock. you also can try increasing the core voltage to apply a little bit more overclocking. But it can be harmful to your GPU. If the card is not stable at 1058, set it to 1055 and see whether it is stable. Then you can try increasing the memory clock. until it hit the sweet spot. Then lower it another 10 Mhz or so and you'll have the overclocked GPU.

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
First of all, not every GPU chip will have the same potential for overclocking. So you've found the sweet spot of your GPU core clock. you also can try increasing the core voltage to apply a little bit more overclocking. But it can be harmful to your GPU. If the card is not stable at 1058, set it to 1055 and see whether it is stable. Then you can try increasing the memory clock. until it hit the sweet spot. Then lower it another 10 Mhz or so and you'll have the overclocked GPU.

Solution

holyrage

Distinguished
this ^ not every chip is the same some can get a good OC some cant but yah u could try searching for your GPU max safe voltage and increase the GPU voltage and see how much oc u can get.

if u go above the safe limits however it could be harmful