Question Low performance from Intel Core i7 7700HQ @ 2.80GHz when gaming

Nexios

Prominent
Jun 13, 2020
I have an MSI GE72VR 7RF Apache Pro laptop. The CPU is an Intel Core i7 7700HQ. CPU idles at 3-10% (fluctuates) and when I try playing Monster Hunter World with low graphic settings, it spikes to 100%. Even though the game itself is churning out 80% in Task Manager, and background processes don't seem to add up to reach the 100% displayed.

I read online that this CPU should still be great for gaming, so I'm wondering if there's an issue I need to fix? or just buy a better CPU? Anyone else have gaming issues with this CPU?

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I have an MSI GE72VR 7RF Apache Pro laptop. The CPU is an Intel Core i7 7700HQ. CPU idles at 3-10% (fluctuates) and when I try playing Monster Hunter World with low graphic settings, it spikes to 100%. Even though the game itself is churning out 80% in Task Manager, and background processes don't seem to add up to reach the 100% displayed.

I read online that this CPU should still be great for gaming, so I'm wondering if there's an issue I need to fix? or just buy a better CPU? Anyone else have gaming issues with this CPU?

Do you have a dedicated video chip? As for the processor itself, it's more than good enough for newer games

Nexios

Prominent
Jun 13, 2020
Do you have a dedicated video chip? As for the processor itself, it's more than good enough for newer games
I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060. The GPU runs at about 80% when I'm playing MHW, on low settings. That also seems wrong, but CPU maxed out is my top priority.