Question Low performance in all steam games

Jun 6, 2019
So this will be a bit of a complicated one so bear with me.
for the last year or so I have noticed that the performance on many of my games on steam seem to be lower than what I would expect and what I have seen on other peoples hardware. I have an i5 8600k a gtx 1060 6gb and 8gb of ram, with this on many games I am getting a far lower average fps than what I have seen other people get on hardware similar to mine. On monster hunter world on low settings I can only get around 60 fps on average for example.

I ended up deciding that it could be a driver issue so I decided to start from scratch and do a clean install of windows on my pc. After reinstalling steam without any of the save data on it I loaded up monster hunter, set the settings to medium and started a new save. I immediately noticed an improvement with an average fps of around 70 which led me to believe I was right in my thinking. I decided to recover my save data and transferred the entire steam folder from my image backup to my new steam directory. After, I started the game again loaded my old save and I saw the framerate tank to a 50fps average, I tried a new save but the fps remained the same.

Based on this is seems to be something to do with the steam directory but I am not sure what, I have never seen someone report a similar issue before so I would be extremely grateful if anyone could assist.

Jun 6, 2019
Yeah sure i can I get those specs for you is it something in particular you need? But it varies honestly, some games like doom are mostly alright keeping at around 70fps and only dropping occasionally. I play mostly total war which has huge changes in frames depending on how many units there are. The witcher 3 has been having frame drops for well over a year now and final fantasy xv which was the game I first noticed the issue with has had terrible performance ever since I got it maybe only getting 30fps.

Jun 6, 2019
Oh no problem the motherboard is a z370-a pro and the power supply is a evga 650w g3. I have two hard drives a 250gb ssd and and 2tb hdd, the steam folders are located in the ssd.
Let me know if I have missed anything

So since you play high framerate games, I would look to your nvidia control panel settings. Do you use an overclocked app for your card like Msi afterburner? I would also try setting your windows power settings to high performance. I would also look in your memory management to see if your windows is allowing enuff buffer memory since you only have 8gb ram. Btw what is the speed of your ram? Try these pc benchmark apps to see if you find any anomalies. https://www.userbenchmark.com/Software https://novabench.com/download#personal