[SOLVED] Low Performance in games but Good in benchmark - Vega 56 1080p

Jan 10, 2021
Hi everyone! I really need your help...

Lately I have been realizing that I am having lower FPS than I should have in some games

First of all, my pc is:
Vega 56 Sapphire Nitro + OC'd and Undervolted a little
Intel i5 8600k OC 4.7ghz
16GB Ram DDR4
EVGA 650GQ

On Ori and the Will of the Wisps, at different moments in the game, I realized that the game lost its fluidity. Even with a good Monitor, Freesync enabled and a GPU/CPU combo that should be hanging this game pretty well
I noticed that my max FPS were not that high (something like 130) and all the time it drops to 70 and then the game looks terrible...When this happens, I look at Afterburner and the GPU usage was in 50%! But why was it only in 50% of use? Shouldn't it go to 100% usage to keep my fps from falling?
Actully my GPU never hits 100% of usage on this game and i dont know why. Even with the 130 FPS the usage is on 60-70%. BUT WHY ?

I watched a video of a guy playing the game with a Vega 56 and he got 100% of GPU usage all the time
Link to the video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y_7ttb2TZ4

I have also noticed that in the game Control i had terrible FPS on the first scene of the game, where ive seen other people with same gpu and cpu having more than 60 fps, i have 30-40 fps which is ridiculous.

So i thought i have a problem with my GPU, so i downloaded Heaven Benchmark and the results were actually very good.
In the Benchmark the GPU was always on 100% usage, consuming like 200-250w and i had good results compared to some other people.

But WHY THE HELL on games i can't have this performance?
Why on Ori i have 60-70% usage of gpu and low fps?

I dont know what to do anymore...

Solution
Sounds like your drivers might be corrupted, or are malfunctioning. Do a clean install of your drivers. It never hurts to clean out the fans/heatsink on your GPU as well if it's sat in your pc for a while. make sure that there are no FPS limits set in-game or in your Radeon software suite, or you are not set on power-save mode or something to that effect. Also, some games have the option to use Direct-X 12,11,10,9, etc. Make sure you are using the newest one, and make sure you have the same one selected in-game installed on your pc. Doing a clean install of the game would not hurt as well.

Lemme know.

Ajfer03

Great
Jan 10, 2021
Sounds like your drivers might be corrupted, or are malfunctioning. Do a clean install of your drivers. It never hurts to clean out the fans/heatsink on your GPU as well if it's sat in your pc for a while. make sure that there are no FPS limits set in-game or in your Radeon software suite, or you are not set on power-save mode or something to that effect. Also, some games have the option to use Direct-X 12,11,10,9, etc. Make sure you are using the newest one, and make sure you have the same one selected in-game installed on your pc. Doing a clean install of the game would not hurt as well.

Lemme know.

Solution
Your game us simply CPU-bound, meaning your graphics card doesn't have much work to do while waiting for whatever game engine coding to get caught up by your CPU, aka CPU bottleneck. You confirmed this when you ran Unigine, a GPU-bound benchmark. Vega56 is generally overkill for 1080p, especially if your monitor is only 60Hz. Other, more optimized game engines will behave differently. You should optimize your in-game settings, as well as your driver settings to properly balance your visual experience with your performance expectations.

Jan 10, 2021
Your game us simply CPU-bound, meaning your graphics card doesn't have much work to do while waiting for whatever game engine coding to get caught up by your CPU, aka CPU bottleneck. You confirmed this when you ran Unigine, a GPU-bound benchmark. Vega56 is generally overkill for 1080p, especially if your monitor is only 60Hz. Other, more optimized game engines will behave differently. You should optimize your in-game settings, as well as your driver settings to properly balance your visual experience with your performance expectations.

i thought that too. but i dont think that it is really it.
my monitor is 144 hz, the gpu stays on 70% and each cpu core on something like 30-50%
ORI4.thumb.png.dec042b870ff11f5f74006139a78407d.png

ORI3.thumb.png.e0e279b749198552c2c2bf919dc74d75.png

How would the guy with Vega 56 on 1080p have better fps than me? and how is his GPU on 100% usage on 1080p in the same game that i cant?
in the video of first post, we can see that he have 40 more fps than me and 100% gpu usage all the time
doesnt make sense to me

i thought that too. but i dont think that it is really it.
my monitor is 144 hz, the gpu stays on 70% and each cpu core on something like 30-50%
ORI4.thumb.png.dec042b870ff11f5f74006139a78407d.png

ORI3.thumb.png.e0e279b749198552c2c2bf919dc74d75.png

How would the guy with Vega 56 on 1080p have better fps than me? and how is his GPU on 100% usage on 1080p in the same game that i cant?
in the video of first post, we can see that he have 40 more fps than me and 100% gpu usage all the time
doesnt make sense to me

Core usage % can be misleading. There are latencies involved in cache and memory on the CPU side which will not peg the CPU usage but still clog up the pipeline. Experiment with your settings. Try turning off Freesynch. Try tuning you Memory.

Jan 10, 2021
Core usage % can be misleading. There are latencies involved in cache and memory on the CPU side which will not peg the CPU usage but still clog up the pipeline. Experiment with your settings. Try turning off Freesynch. Try tuning you Memory.

what you mean tuning my memory?
if you mean XMP, its already activated and memory is at 3200mhz