Low performance on high end machine

Woopsicles

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
I recently bought a PC, specs at the bottom, on 17th nov 2015 and it was performing great but since the start of January I have been experiencing a lack of performance of up-to 77% FPS drops.
As an example when I first got the PC Counter Strike Global Offensive was running at 260-299fps with it very rarely dropping below 280. Now it ranges from 299 down to 70 fps with 180 being my estimated avg/most frequent.
Another Example is GTA 5 which used to run at 165-120fps and now runs at 120-50fps and 70fps being my estimated avg/most frequent.
I have not changed the settings in anyway other than to attempt to combat this frame loss and this is with normal use that shouldn't cause any frame drops.

I've contacted nvidia and the people who built it and this is what they suggested and i have tried:
Clean install of windows
Changing my driver version multiple times
Changing graphic settings in nvidia control panel
Changing resolution
Turning of UAC
Closing every program that isn't essential
Uninstalling every program that could run in the background
Putting a desk fan on the GPU to cool it (lowered the temp by 10*c)
New admin account
Clean Booting
Im sure i've done more but cant remember.

I have looked up online specs and how other computers perform in the same situations, Resolution, graphic settings, ect and almost identical machines perform around what mine did when i 1st got it and lower end machines are able to match and even beat it.

The strange thing is that I can have the settings either for performance or quality and they both run the same but quality looks better. And changing the resolution from 1080p to 4k DSR has very little performance impact with 4k having a slightly lower max fps, but similar avg and much higher min fps on the games i've tried.

Either a solution so I can fix it myself or a cause so I can send it to be repaired is what i'm after.

I7 5930k @3.5ghz water cooled.
Nvidia gtx 980ti reference (just one but I intend to add a second one day)
Gigabyte x99-sli
120gb SSD
2th HDD
850w Psu
16gb RAM
64bit Windows 10
1080p 144hz monitor
Need any more info just ask.

Thank you

Woopsicles

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015

I did its the 2nd thing on the list of what I've tried. I've gone as far back as 2 months before I got the PC. Its not like its just suddenly started doing this after a driver update its more like the performance has just been slowly degrading since an month or two after getting it.