[SOLVED] Low performance on high end PC?

maximumtouch

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
I have had this issue for a very long time and I have tried a lot of things such as re-seating RAM, CPU, GPU and changing settings in NVIDIA Control Panel and more. I get lower fps than I should and I often have lots of stuttering in games. Here is my user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14764613

If there is anything else I can try please let me know, thank you!

Solution
Good to see that the CPU is now getting the score it should.

The HDD could be because of a couple of things, depending on how old it is or how much you have written to it since you've had it, could be age/reaching the end of it's read/write cycle life and starting to slow down.
For the GPU, are you plugged into the top most PCIe slot?
Also, what PSU do you have?
Make and model please. Could potentially be a power limitation of some kind on the GPU and knowing what PSU you have can help us determine that.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
not going to be Intel phasing out older platforms.

The 6800K is Broadwell E, and runs on the X99 chipset and released in Q2"16. It's not nearly old enough for Intel to be phasing it out.

In fact, there are plenty of people still being able to play the latest games running 3rd and 4th gen Intel chips so I highly doubt it's Intel.

But it being a bad installation of Windows I can definitely believe.

But could be a hardware bottleneck somewhere.

What power supply do you have? Make and model please.

maximumtouch

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
not going to be Intel phasing out older platforms.

The 6800K is Broadwell E, and runs on the X99 chipset and released in Q2"16. It's not nearly old enough for Intel to be phasing it out.

In fact, there are plenty of people still being able to play the latest games running 3rd and 4th gen Intel chips so I highly doubt it's Intel.

But it being a bad installation of Windows I can definitely believe.

But could be a hardware bottleneck somewhere.

What power supply do you have? Make and model please.
I have tried reinstalling windows but that did not fix anything.

The power supply I have is this one: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-g2-0850-xr

Realbench benchmark. Cinebench R15. CPU-Z benchmarks. For GPU, 3Dmark & Superposition Benchmark. Some folks use AIDA64. These can provide scores to compare with. I'm sure there are tons of others as well. Is the stuttering, FPS drops, the only issues you actually see?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
defrag your seagate drive.
enable XMP for your RAM so it runs at 3200MHz.

Update BIOS.

Install latest drivers for everything from your motherboard support page.

double and triple check that you plugged everything into the right places, and that they are fully plugged in and not partially unplugged. And I mean EVERY cable.

maximumtouch

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
Ok, what is the software/virtual spacedesk adapter about? Not sure where your score falls in realbench. I would have to see if I have a screenshot still from that version.
That was an app that allowed you to stream what your pc displays to a phone or other device. I have now uninstalled it as I do not use it.

maximumtouch

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
defrag your seagate drive.
enable XMP for your RAM so it runs at 3200MHz.

Update BIOS.

Install latest drivers for everything from your motherboard support page.

double and triple check that you plugged everything into the right places, and that they are fully plugged in and not partially unplugged. And I mean EVERY cable.
I have done all that just now one step at a time. I ran the benchmark now and here are the results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14796684

In game performance however stays basically the same.

What do you get in 3dmark scores? How do they compare to similar systems? Also, have you attempted logging GPU usage in-game with third-party software? Curious to see GPU usage itself, temp, frequency, ect. with a timestamp to compare with. I've used GPU-Zs logging myself, but there are plenty of other options.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

The HDD could be because of a couple of things, depending on how old it is or how much you have written to it since you've had it, could be age/reaching the end of it's read/write cycle life and starting to slow down.
Make and model please. Could potentially be a power limitation of some kind on the GPU and knowing what PSU you have can help us determine that.

Solution

maximumtouch

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016

Oh wow thank you so much! I just realized my GPU was plugged into the 2nd PCIe slot and once I fixed that my performance is all back to normal now! Thank you for the help